Alpen optics

JNDEER

Reaction score
i was looking in one of the hunting mags i got this month and the alpen optics got rated best vaule and ranked #2 on the optics list for best quality, price, and light gathering....anyone use them or have any experience with the optics? they seem fairly inexpensive and have a great warranty plan.

Backcountry

Reaction score
My experience... Absolute junk... don't waste your money.

JNDEER

Reaction score
low light, c/s, broken pieces?? which aspect was junk...the whole package?

Backcountry

Reaction score
1) Brand new compact spotting scope had what appeared to be a human pubic hair INSIDE the sealed objective...

2) The same spotting scope that was touted to be 30x had virtually the same magnification as my 10x binos. Worthless as as "spotting" scope...

That was all it took to return the scope for a full refund and never give this company a second look...

JNDEER

Reaction score
thanks for the clarification. doesn't sound too good. any experience on the binoculars?

brave52000

Reaction score
All I can say is,... Vortex! For the price you will not find a better pair of glasses, and the warranty makes them that much better.

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brave52000 @ May 31 2008, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All I can say is,... Vortex! For the price you will not find a better pair of glasses, and the warranty makes them that much better.[/b]
thanks Brave......which model?

brave52000

Reaction score
I have the Razor's, and they are fantastic. A good friend has a pair of Swarovski EL's, and while they are still better, they Razor's certainly make him question the price difference. In the lower price range I would go with a pair of 10x42 Fury's, but I've also heard good things about the Diamondbacks. I'm in no way shape or form affiliated with Vortex, just a big fan of their product.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brave52000 @ Jun 1 2008, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have the Razor's, and they are fantastic. A good friend has a pair of Swarovski EL's, and while they are still better, they Razor's certainly make him question the price difference. In the lower price range I would go with a pair of 10x42 Fury's, but I've also heard good things about the Diamondbacks. I'm in no way shape or form affiliated with Vortex, just a big fan of their product.[/b]
I second the Vortex! Great value and quality optics for the money. I have the 10x42 Diamond backs and I'm very happy with them. If I could afford them, I would have purchase the Razors tough...

kphunter

Reaction score
I field tested the Vortex Viper 15x50's and like most people have said here, they are the best value for the money.

KP

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BackCountryHNTR @ Jun 2 2008, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brave52000 @ Jun 1 2008, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the Razor's, and they are fantastic. A good friend has a pair of Swarovski EL's, and while they are still better, they Razor's certainly make him question the price difference. In the lower price range I would go with a pair of 10x42 Fury's, but I've also heard good things about the Diamondbacks. I'm in no way shape or form affiliated with Vortex, just a big fan of their product.[/b]
I second the Vortex! Great value and quality optics for the money. I have the 10x42 Diamond backs and I'm very happy with them. If I could afford them, I would have purchase the Razors tough...
[/b][/quote]

i am looking at the diamond backs for a new pair of bino's. not sure if you have compared them to nikon monarch's? but, if you have..would you say these are better or about the same in image quality?

brave52000

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the Monarch's, but the Diamondback's are $90 cheaper on Eagleoptics.com. If I was you I would upgrade to the Fury's for $359.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brave52000 @ Jun 3 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm not sure on the Monarch's, but the Diamondback's are $90 cheaper on Eagleoptics.com. If I was you I would upgrade to the Fury's for $359.[/b]
Ditto</span>

Check out this comparison table from Vortex LINK

Besides, Monarch's don't have Vortex' Warranty:
"We know the unexpected can happen, so let's be perfectly clear about what our Very Important Promise warranty means to you. It's simple. Really. <span style="color:#FF0000">If your optics need repair, Vortex will make it right without charging you a penny. No matter who or what caused the damage, and even if you're not the original owner
, what really matters to us is that you remain satisfied with your purchase. Just call Vortex Optics for prompt, friendly, professional service of products covered by the VIP warranty"

BTW, I got mine from http://www.opticsplanet.net/hunting-store.html

Good luck!

JNDEER

Reaction score
thanks guys...we will see, i am not sure if my budget can hold the $359, but the diamondback is more in my budget range.

yes the warranty is really good for vortex.

slowpoke

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Vortex, but i just got an email from Cameraland NY yesterday with them on sale.
They were $130 for the Diamondback Series. Here is their description of why they are priced the way they are "Diamondback series binoculars in the Tan Coyote versions with some color imperfections in the tan rubber. Not damaged, just inconsistant coloration." I have no idea if this is a good deal or not, but might be worth taking a look at their website

JNDEER

Reaction score
Excellent!!

Thanks slowpoke...looks like a steal to me!

bighorn67

Reaction score
I have the Vortex Vulture 10x50 and love them. They were $299 and worth way more than that. For quality and price, I'm sold on Vortex.

Dave

mattys281

Reaction score
I've had a couple pairs of Alpen glasses & think you can't beat them for the money.
I did a side-by-side between the Alpen 12x50s & the Zeiss Conquest 12x45... The alpens were brighter & sharper in low evening light, but at least the Zeiss cost twice as much.

JD HHI 6092

Reaction score
I was looking at a pair but decided when I was researching a new pair of bino's. They didn't seem very clear or very well made. So I saved some more cash and picked up a set of Swarovski 8x30 SLC.

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slowpoke @ Jun 5 2008, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't know anything about Vortex, but i just got an email from Cameraland NY yesterday with them on sale.
They were $130 for the Diamondback Series. Here is their description of why they are priced the way they are "Diamondback series binoculars in the Tan Coyote versions with some color imperfections in the tan rubber. Not damaged, just inconsistant coloration." I have no idea if this is a good deal or not, but might be worth taking a look at their website[/b]
TY slowpoke........they just arrived in the mail today. not sure why they say there is an imperfection, the only thing i see is a little black scuff mark on the dark brown rubber coating....all i can say is WOW..it is like night and day. Granite i am only comparing them to the bushnell h20's....for this price of $130 shipped to the door i would HIGHLY recommend these bino's for the price....

thanks to all who recommened them...you guys were spot on!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom