Americans eat too much....

S&P

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Playing the blame game over food, fuel prices

by Pan Demetrakakes
Executive Editor

As prices for both food and fuel climb ever higher, players on the global stage are pointing fingers at each other, arguing over cause and effect.

Biofuels, subsidized for years by the federal government, are coming under increasing criticism for their effect on food prices. In light of recent food riots in Haiti, Egypt and elsewhere, some have charged that using corn to make ethanol and similar fuels is wasteful and cruel.

The situation reached a climax of sorts last week when Agriculture Secretary Ed Schafer accused the Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA) of being behind an “underground” campaign to roll back biofuel subsidies. Schafer and U.S. Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa), one of ethanol’s leading proponents in Congress, are battling an effort by the GMA to cut back biofuel subsidies to bring down the price of corn. Grassley sent a letter to 13 major food producers, including Hormel Foods, ConAgra Foods and Sara Lee. The letter read in part: “I hope you'll recognize that this smear campaign against biofuels is unfounded, irresponsible and pits traditional allies and partners in food production against one another.”

Some observers put the blame on increased food demand in countries such as China and India, especially an increased demand for meat, which takes more corn per calorie to raise. But Indian officials angrily rejected that assertion after President Bush made remarks to that effect earlier this month. An official in an economic development institute told The New York Times that if Americans didn’t eat so much, “many hungry people in sub-Saharan Africa would find food on their plates.”[/b]
http://www.foodandbeveragepackaging.com/CD...000000000345309

Coues

Reaction score
The gov't should not be subsidizing any business, let alone the energy sector. If it is a viable product, the profits will be enough to spawn new technology. If it is not viable, it will go away, like it should.

barel74

Reaction score
I agree coues. Too many mid-westerners sitting on their porches, waiting for a subsidy check to come in the mail. I think the "Well, I don't grow corn" days should be over.

Sodhunter

Reaction score
"If Americans didn't eat so much, many hungry Africans would find food on their plates." There's the quote of the day. Maybe if we didn't own so many cars they would find a shiny new Landrover in the driveway too. Oh that's right, they don't have driveways. Guess we pour too much concrete here.

Orygun

Reaction score
An official in an economic development institute[/b]
now there is some hard hitting factual reporting there. Some guy at a place said this thing.

Political unrest in the form of civil wars and corruption caused by some wannabe dictators in a pointy hats are the reason why many sub-Saharan Africans don't get to eat

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
Political unrest in the form of civil wars and corruption caused by some wannabe dictators in a pointy hats are the reason why many sub-Saharan Africans don't get to eat[/b]
Damn...your right...and I just threw out my ding dongs....

Rodney Hood

Reaction score
Thanks Atwater...I just spitted coffee all over my key board!!!

easymoney

Reaction score
So we can expect an obese police or fat tax?
And I find it very telling that barack hussein obama has already said the rest of the world doesn't want us to eat, drive SUVs or turn our thermostats up...

Orygun

Reaction score
So we can expect an obese police or fat tax[/b]
The tax will be on all food deemed unhealthy, re Twinkie Tax. If they could tax us for calories consumed. The argument being a lot of CO2 was used to make and get the food to us to eat. They should then tax exercise. A person who is exercising and burning calories is generating a lot more CO2 than a couch potato.

easymoney

Reaction score
Maybe there should be a little research into the "hand to mouth" disease that causes normal humans to stuff their faces with mass quantities of food substances in attempts to deflect their insecure and dysfunctional lives? Oh, I forgot it's all Bushes fault...

S&P

Reaction score
Originally posted by easymoney
Oh, I forgot it's all Bushes fault...

Yep, and in 7 months, it'll all be McCain's fault. Hey, they gotta blame somebody, might as well blame the 'next' president.

Elche

Reaction score
God no, granddad McCain???? then the world will know for sure that we are just plain stupid :) And only think of invading other nations with nothing to do with 911 or Osama.

Yep, and in 7 months, it'll all be McCain's fault. Hey, they gotta blame somebody, might as well blame the 'next' president.

[/quote]

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Elche @ Jun 3 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
God no, granddad McCain???? then the world will know for sure that we are just plain stupid[/b]

Hey Elche, the world already "knows" we're stupid. (But I could care less what Europe or Asia or any place else thinks).

S&P

Reaction score
Yep, the world knows we're stupid UNTIL there is a natural disaster somewhere then that hand reaches out to us ignorant Americans.

Top Bottom