Americans unload prized belongings to make ends meet

masonjarlid

Reaction score
By ANNE D'INNOCENZIO, AP Business Writer
Tue Apr 29, 6:04 PM ET

NEW YORK - The for-sale listings on the online hub Craigslist come with plaintive notices, like the one from the teenager in Georgia who said her mother lost her job and pleaded, "Please buy anything you can to help out." Or the seller in Milwaukee who wrote in one post of needing to pay bills — and put a diamond engagement ring up for bids to do it.

Struggling with mounting debt and rising prices, faced with the toughest economic times since the early 1990s, Americans are selling prized possessions online and at flea markets at alarming rates.

LINK

easymoney

Reaction score
IMHO, all these ads need to be forwarded to our legislature. Their inability to do their job is the main reason why we are having tough times right now.

Orygun

Reaction score
Things will get uglier then they will get better.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Instead of selling their prized possessions, maybe they should cancel cable TV, cell phones, regular phone, AOL highspeed...

chuckslayer

Reaction score
Commonsense;
..And it is remarkable to see how many of the "poor", still walking around with their cigarettes..and carrying home sixpacks !

Common Sense

Reaction score
My son-in-law just bought a couple of terra-cotta pots for flowers at the flea market. The guy he bought them from couldn't help him pick them up because he had just had open heart surgery. He gave the S-I-L a sad story about how weak and poor he was because he could not work.

As my S-I-L was walking away, the man held up the $6.00 and said to his friend in Spanish, "Hey Jose, look; we can get drunk tonight!"

easymoney

Reaction score
There you go again, making too much sense...
It always cracks me up when I hear about how bad things are, especially from the brain challenged. I never see anyone giving up those luxuries like cigs, booze, cable, internet, etc, but they all sure want to whine about the social handouts being cut back, we as taxpayers provide so they have more money to buy their frivolous luxuries...

masonjarlid

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (easymoney @ Apr 30 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
we as taxpayers provide so they have more money to buy their frivolous luxuries...[/b]

And we the taxpayers are the ones having to cut back our luxuries, while they are still smoking out and getting drunk.

Coues

Reaction score
Hey, it's not just. Ted Kennedy's Single Malt Scotch bill has doubled since 2000. Poor fella.

el_vaquero

Reaction score
Man, if only we could make the rules. Wouldn't it be ideal. I'm tired of politicians taking my hard earned money so that a bunch of people who do nothing can get handouts. When will the madness end?

D3Lifer

Reaction score
I'm holding on to my prized possessions....it's the junk that I'm trying to unload.

swampy tim

Reaction score
I don't have any "prized" possesions, just tools to get through life. Everything turns to rust. S/T

Top Bottom