AmerTac Sensor

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Spent about 6 hrs hacking this sensor yesterday and it looks like it may have some prom.. Idle current draw is abt 0.74uA and active w/ no relay or opto is 1.19ua.

I've located the trigger timing cap/resistor and know now what to do to bring the trigger hold down from 30 sec to something respectable, but am having some confussion on trying to get the voltage UP to something usable by a relay. It currently has a trigger output of abt. .59 volts. It had a real strange power arangement w/ the light. + power went from the battery to the - side of the lamp holder then to the board. - power went to the board. Trigger wire came from the board to the + on the lamp holder. The lamp is a 4.8 volt dc lamp. It also has an AC adaptor plug. Wiring to the AC adaptor or the board, I get a .59 volt trigger pulse. This is a stupid question I ought to know but can't remember, how do most of these boards regulate their voltages and step them down. I would figure mainly by resistors, but some of the transistors also seem to be stepping it down. Can someone slap me back into reality.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
HH,

You can get the voltage up for the trigger like we do on the MS20 ..  Jumper from a regulates 5v sourse to a 10K pullup resistor and then to the trigger output from the PIR.  I assume the trigger you measure goes to ground when triggered  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
With only .59 volts to trigger the transistor AEH talked about, I think all you'd have to do is attach the trigger output to the base of an NPN transistor.  The emitter goes to ground (batt (-) and the collector attaches directly to the relay coil, the other end of the relay coil should be connected directly to the (+) 4.8 volt power source.  Use a REED relay and don't forget the protection diode attached to the relay coil.  I think you need an NPN transistor with a gain of 200 (The transistor specs need to say the hfe is ~200 (this is the gain))  Unlike AEH, I assume the trigger volts goes from at or near zero up to .59 volts.

PIR's usually have a regulated power supply for stability, which means they use some electronic components to nock down a higher than needed voltage to the regulated voltage required.  They might use a 9v battery but chop the 9v's down to 5volts using a voltage regulator like a 7805 IC or by using zener diodes and transistors, etc.  there are several ways it can be done but they won't use just resistors (I don't think)

Confused?  he he

Tinhorn

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn,  I confuse myself most of the time.  The only way I know if I'm right is to try it and look for the smoke.  Is that a correct assement of the MS20 od do I still not have it.  

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Holy cow.

Only .74ua idle.  and only 1.19uA when active.  Boy I have never heard of current that low for a PIR before.  Are you sure this in not a typo or that your meter was on mA setting and not uA.  Wow.  If this is true  You will definitely need an inverter amplifier to trigger something like a relay.

I may have to check this one out.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
AEH,

You would be right on the pull up resistor if the output is from the collector of a transistor that don't already have one.  If teh PIR trigger is coming from an open Collector, that would be all he'd need to do to connect the trigger output to a timer, add a 10k pullup resistor.  When adding a relay, if the trigger output is from a transistor collector, then HH, don't add a 2nd transistor, just wire in the relay as I said above to the existing transitor

I am assuming the trigger output is from an IC but only guessing

Now I'm confused and got a headache,  I think I'll go make some more gravel

Tinhorn

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry I havent responded, I had to leave at 8:00-8:30 for a job site & just got back. uA is right. That is what my meter was set on. Tested it twice or 3 times. Have to run again for abt an hr, and will respond more then.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
oops, I didn't realize it was on auto, even w/ being set to uA, it read .74mA. Sorry:im-with-stupid:

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Darn!  I was going to take one of those suckers apart and see what made it tick.  I was hoping there was a new chip that did draw less current.

You are going to have to include me in with the sign.  Lord knows I deserve it sometimes.  A lot more than I would like.  I think it has been tatooed on my forehead lately.  My wife has been looking at me funny. :confused-yellow:

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry Brian, knew I got your hopes up. Damn I was excited too. Checked it 3 times, but from the angle I was at, I couldnt see the bottom of the screen where it said mA. Since it was set on uA, I got sucked in by my own stupidity.

Only salvation is, the PIR works. Probibly will have to drive an opto though, unless someone wants to hook batttery power to the relay since its regulated voltage is 3.5 volts instead of 5, and it usually fluctuates a little around 3.47 to 3.49. Will 3.47 run your chip Brian?

Correction, it is regulated to 3.494. Sorry.
Correction,

(Edited by ****** at 1:00 pm on June 28, 2002)

Handcannon

Reaction score
Brian,Tinhorn or other electronics gurus,I picked 2 of these sensors up off of a clearance table for about $3 apiece last  year to play with and screwed one of them up(I'm kind of electronically challenged), but still have 1 complete in the package which I could send to somebody if they would see if they could make it work for the benefit of everybody else. I've seen these sensors at Wallyworld for around $13.   Just let me know

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Handcannon, is yours the "Motion Activated Utility Lite"? If that is the one, I could use one to photograpg for the documentation on how to do it. I've got it where it works, but am having to work on an amplifier/inverter to get it to drive much since the regulated voltage is only abt 3.5 volts.

GregA

Reaction score
I have 5 or 6 cameras running with the AmerTac sensor. I set them up just like the RS sensor with a 5V relay. The only problem I've had is that they are more sensitive.

Handcannon

Reaction score
HillHopper, This is what I have here.Automatic Motion Activated Utility Lite, uses 4AA or AC/DC Adaptor(sold seperately). Then on the back of the package just above the UPC code, 73090 Motion Utility Lite. I had to stop at Wallyworld after work and checked out the ones I thought I had seen there and the ones they have are exactly the same as this o12 bucks.    ne, Send an email of address.                               Hey Greg how much do you know about these? maybe you already got it figured out for ol Hillhopper.  

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Handcannon, Greg was going to check a couple of things and hopefully check back. Hang on to it, there may be a fix. I'll let you know if I hear back more from Greg.

Handcannon

Reaction score
HillHopper, will do,by the way does it sound like the same sensor that you have? I might be gone till first of next week but I'll try to keep in touch.    Handcannon

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom