• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

ammo background check

ltdann

Anybody know how it's going to work. Local shops don't know as DOJ hasn't told them. I'm hearing from others that you can be denied because your firearm isn't registered in the state. For example, you want to go dove hunting with grandpa's 12 ga o/u from Iowa. If you don't have a 12 ga registered in CA, you can't buy ammo for it. You'll have to register it, pay $19 and wait up to 10 days before you can buy ammo.

Anybody know for sure?

Stevehazard

I believe they are going to want "a" gun registered because that is what the state is going to use as their check of evidence of eligibility. Or you'll be able to apply for some other evidence of eligibility some other way too. I think this is FUD going around that you have to have every single gun registered and will only be sold ammo of calibers of weapons you own of calibers that you have. Lot's of guns the caliber is multi so how would that work?

Your are correct that out of state people will not be allowed to purchase ammo unless they do the eligibility check thing which I imagine is going to be very time consuming.

Farallon

I asked San Jose Bass Pro, the ammo clerk knew the law, but said, Bass Pro has not issued any instructions.

Lt Dan, your post is correct.

I have purchased ammo just in case. Trying to find non toxic non steel for various gauges in 6 shot for club pheasant.

I think some retailers will get out of the ammo business due to this. When the law was passed, I purchased a budget load of ammo from Midway and Bass Pro, over the internet.

dabob

If you reload ammo or you plan on starting to reload ammo, right now is the time to start buying primers, powder, bullets, wads and shot.

ltdann

So CRPA has a good letter that describes significant problems with the law. It's still unclear which way it's going to work vis-à-vis the registration. Since it's illegal for CA to access ATF's NICS system for ammo background checks, there'd have to be at least (1) firearm registered to you in the states database. What is a mystery is whether the (a) registration is good enough for all ammo or if purchase is restricted to the caliber/gauge of the firearm registered.

If the intent is to see if a person is legally allowed to own a firearm and therefore, legal to buy ammo, one registration should do the trick. If the intent is to tie each ammo purchase to an individual firearm , it amounts to do a backdoor registration on ALL firearms owned and purchased prior to 2014.

I'm not sure what this hopes to accomplish. I see the same guys at the range every month that rip thru hundreds of round in a session with their ARs. So What? It's their money. How's keeping records of that help anyone?

OPAH

So lets hope that the complicated nature of this BS, is enough that No body will jump on the Band Wagon,

TheGDog

Oh come on... you KNOW what their hope is... YES... to force their hand of de facto forced registration. You know that's EXACTLY what their long game was with this move.

Guess TheGDog is gon' start buying reloading gear. Ugh... great... yet another unplanned expense. Weeeeeeeee!!!

Limited Out

Here's my spin, I think the politicians are attempting to put so many obstacles in the way of the hunting public that they just throw up their hands and give up hunting. Gun registration, no lead ammo, and ammo restrictions, overpriced licensing, opposition people on the fish and game commission, are all part of the their overall plan. They want no hunting in California.

Last edited:
Here's my spin, I think the politicians are attempting to put so many obstacles in the way of the hunting public that they just throw up their hands and give up hunting. Gun registration, no lead ammo, and ammo restrictions, overpriced licensing, opposition people on the fish and game board, are all part of the their overall plan. They want no hunting California.
Bingo! No Hunting and no firearms is the goal.

Top Bottom