Ammo Background Check

nickman123

Reaction score
Bought some ammo last October or November. Went thru the new background check BS with no problem. Went to buy some ammo for my hunting rifle the other day at Bass Pro and I got rejected on the background check. Far as I know, not a thing has changed for me since last year. Kid at the counter gave me a paper with transaction number and told me to go home, go on CFARS website, enter transaction number and it would tell me why I was denied. I did that and all it says is that either I don't exist in CFARS data base or info Bass Pro entered was incorrect and didn't match me in data base. I reviewed the paper from Bass Pro and as far as I can see, all the info they entered is 100% correct. The CFARS website said I could create an account, so I tried doing that but then it asked me to list at least one firearm I own that is registered with them???? All I have is hunting rifles and shotguns that I've owned for years- before they ever required registering anything. Last firearm I bought was a shotgun I got for my son at least 6 or 7 yrs ago. Are they saying I have to have "registered" guns to buy ammo? How come I was able to buy ammo last year? What changed? What do I do next?

quaildeath

Reaction score
Man that blows. There was some stuff on the web going around that if someone was buying ammo for a weapon the gov didn’t have record of, people got rejected.

#1Predator

Reaction score
Sorry about that. The link wants you to register for the article. Here's the full article.

Ammunition background checks in California uncover ‘ghost’ guns, heroin and more
Triple Beam arrest leads to confiscation of a ghost gun outside a Fresno football game. This was one of over 120 arrests during a strategic gang enforcement effort led by the U.S. Marshals Service.

BY HANNAH WILEY

MAY 19, 2020 03:14 PM ,

A ‘ghost’ gun assault rifle in Pioneer.

More than 15,000 rounds of ammunition in Auburn.

Six large-capacity magazines and a gram of methamphetamine in Bakersfield.

These are among the items special agents in California found in the last month during a dozen operations to confiscate firearms and ammunition possessed by owners who failed background checks.

The agents seized a total 51 firearms, including assault weapons and ‘ghost’ guns – weapons unable to be traced because they have no serial number – 28,518 rounds of ammunition and more than 120 magazines, according to a Tuesday announcement from the California Department of Justice. Drugs found included 116 grams of methamphetamine and four grams of heroin.

“Gun violence is the last thing our communities and children should have to fear during a public health crisis,” said Attorney General Xavier Becerra, referring to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. “Background checks can save lives and DOJ’s firearms operations help make that happen. At the California Department of Justice, we’ll keep doing our part to keep firearms out of the hands of violent and dangerous individuals.”

The operations were conducted after special agents obtained search warrants when someone failed an ammunition purchase background check, as required by a 2016 California law.

More than 750 people were blocked from illegally purchasing ammunition during the second half of 2019, Becerra’s office said.

A man in Turlock, for example, attempted to buy ammunition, which resulted in special agents seizing a handgun, two shotguns, a bolt-action rifle, a standard magazine, and more than 1,000 round sof ammunition.

A failed purchase in Oakland instigated a raid that turned up a handgun, four magazines, 96 rounds of ammunition and two grams of heroin.

An Oakdale operation after an ammunition purchase attempt led to the confiscation of, among others, a hand gun, assault rifle parts and a gram of meth.

A Sacramento Bee investigation late last year found that because of the 345,547 ammunition background checks completed, 62,000 were rejected because the buyer’s personal information was incorrectly entered into the system.

The law inspired a suit filed by gun activists, and a federal judge blocked it in April.

“The experiment has been tried. The casualties have been counted. California’s new ammunition background check law misfires and the Second Amendment rights of California citizens have been gravely injured,” wrote U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez of the Southern District of California in San Diego.

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco then granted Becerra a stay while the case is litigated.

Becerra’s office said the raids also helped close 400 cases in the Armed and Prohibited Persons System, a database the state has used since 2006 to track illegal ownership of firearms. Local agencies work with the state’s department to confiscate the weapons owned by people barred from that possession either due to mental health conditions, crime convictions or restraining orders against them.

California for years had a growing backlog of prohibited persons. In 2019, the state removed nearly 10,000 names from the database, while simultaneously adding more than 8,000 new people.

The database currently has 22,424 people in the system.

HANNAH WILEY

Hannah Wiley joined The Bee as a legislative reporter in 2019. She produces the morning newsletter for Capitol Alert and previously reported on immigration, education and criminal justice. She’s a Chicago-area native and a graduate of Saint Louis University and Northwestern.

nickman123

Reaction score
I don't know how a failed background check would allow them to raid someone's home unless the person was a convicted felon. A felon trying to buy a gun or ammo is a felony itself even though it's virtually never prosecuted. But if you fail the check for some other reason they can bust into your house to look for illegal guns? If that's true, this state is truly all done.
In my case, it appears i'm somehow not in the CFARS database. I don't get it, cause as I said, I bought ammo last year. I somehow fell out of the database?
How do I get back in? Am I really gonna have to buy a registered firearm just to be in the database so I can buy ammo? That will really suck

ltdann

Reaction score
I tried to register my hunting rifle purchased at Bass pro in 2010. Since it was before the 2014 CFARS cut off, it wasn't in the database. I tried to do it online, they send me a letter and said I had to send in a paper form (same as online) and a $20 money order.

So I did that and waited 6 weeks and hadn't heard anything and called to check on it. I spent 30 minutes wading through the automated phone menu and finally reached the CFARS section, only to hear a recording that said they didn't have enough staff to answer the phone.

The next day, I went and bought the cheapest gun I could find and 10 days later I picked it up and was "registered" and able to buy ammo. The day I picked up the firearm, I got a letter saying my rifle was "registered".

I think if I hadn't bought the gun, I'd still be waiting...

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
I don't know how a failed background check would allow them to raid someone's home unless the person was a convicted felon. A felon trying to buy a gun or ammo is a felony itself even though it's virtually never prosecuted. But if you fail the check for some other reason they can bust into your house to look for illegal guns? If that's true, this state is truly all done.
In my case, it appears i'm somehow not in the CFARS database. I don't get it, cause as I said, I bought ammo last year. I somehow fell out of the database?
How do I get back in? Am I really gonna have to buy a registered firearm just to be in the database so I can buy ammo? That will really suck
He was a felon. I just find it ironic that they say this leads to busts, but then turn around and let the guys go. As as I'm concerned the ammo check is just another ploy to frustrate hunters, just like the non-toxic laws.

nickman123

Reaction score
So you're saying it's true. They won't put you in the CFARs data base unless you have at least one registered firearm in the database. How can they do that? Did I miss something? As I understand it, when they started the long gun registration thing in 2014 it was only for new purchases or transfers, right? Firearms you possessed prior to that are grandfathered in until you transfer it to someone else, correct? So, a person can easily have perfectly legal firearms that are not in CFARs system but you can't buy ammo? When they passed this ammo background check law I didn't read anything about that being a requirement. Someone's got to be suing them over this, right??

ltdann

Reaction score
So, a person can easily have perfectly legal firearms that are not in CFARs system but you can't buy ammo?
That's correct, if the firearm was purchased prior to 2014, or was purchased in another state, CA won't have a record of it. It's how they get around not infringing on your 2nd. You can bear the arms, you just can't get ammo for them. Notice how they prohibited mail order and internet purchase at the same time? Nobody will ship ammo directly to a CA resident anymore. Further more, if your billing address is CA and your shipping to...say montana for a upcoming hunt, they won't sell to you.

So you think, "I'll just cross over the state line and load up"? DOJ has agents sitting in the sporting goods parking lots in Nevada and Yuma, waiting for CA residents to come out with ammo. They call CHP and have them picked up once they cross into CA. It's been in the news.

What can you do? Stop voting democrat, for one. Tell all you friends.

With CV-19, a lot of first time CA gun buyers ran into a brick wall when they tried to get a firearm in a hurry....or ammo in a hurry. Hopefully they'll remember all this BS next time gun laws show on the ballot.

ltdann

Reaction score
Right now, it's not caliber specific, so you register one firearm and you can buy ammo for whatever you have.

Mark my words-you heard it here first....it won't be long before Sacramento comes out and says you'll have register a weapon in EACH caliber you own to buy ammo, because "it's a common sense law."

Personally, anytime I hear the words "common sense" or "It's for the kids" come out of a politician's mouth, I know I'm about to get screwed.

This isn't about keeping bad people from getting ammo, they'll do that anyway. It's backdoor registration. Sacramento wants to know where the firearms are because they are a threat to the ruling elite, the Deep State, if you will. One day, they'll just decide you can't have them and send the SWAT to collect them up. It's for the children.

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
" You can bear the arms, you just can't get ammo for them."

What can you do? Stop voting democrat, for one. Tell all you friends.
I wonder why our legal teams haven't made the argument that firearms and the ammunition needed for them to work are inclusive of each other?

#1Predator

Reaction score
nickman123, did you do the Standard Ammunition Eligibility Check ($1) or the Basic Ammunition Eligibility Check ($19)? If you did the $1 check you probably got rejected because your government identification didn't match (different name/address on your driver's license, voter registration, tax records, etc.). The $19 check is almost the same background check as buying a firearm. It's more thorough. The ammo dealer will give you a transaction number. You can use this number to track your progress through CFARS. Once you're approved you can go back to the ammo dealer and buy your ammo.

quaildeath

Reaction score
Kim Rhodes, the skeet Olympian, is fighting this background check as we speak in court, btw.

Limited Out

Reaction score
Why all the hassle! Reload, flying under there radar for as long as possible! My $19+$1 is going for powder and primers. Won't last forever I'm sure!

nickman123

Reaction score
I did the $1 check. But bass Pro gave me a "rejection slip" record of the transaction and it shows all of my data they entered. As far as I can see, it's all 100% accurate.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
As far as I know the $1 background check only works for those that have registered a firearm in the last few years. For others like me you have to do the $19 dollar check and then wait. Bass Pro should have told you that. If you purchased ammo successfully with the $1 check in the past it was most likely a mistake and it won't happen again.

When CFARS said you don't exist you must not have a registered gun.
I will probably do like ltdann did and just buy another gun so I can get in the system if the challenge to this law is not successful. I had a deal worked out on a shotgun that fell through so I am looking for another deal on a gun I don't need.

#1Predator

Reaction score
nickman123 - Basspro gets an "A" for entering everything correctly but the important point is how your data is entered on official government paperwork. Example - if I have my first, middle, and last name on my driver's license but I only have my first and last name on my voter registration, that's a mismatch and I'll get rejected. It's the same with including "Jr." or "Sr." or "III" on one piece of paperwork and not including it on another. This is also why some people receive two or three "Jury Duty" summons in the same year. The "jury computer" thinks that I am two or three different people because my "names" are different.

nickman123

Reaction score
John, are you saying you did this $11 background check one time to get yourself into the system? Or are you saying you have to go thru that every time you buy ammo?

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
The $19 check is for a one time purchase. You must do it every time you buy ammo or until you register a gun. The $1 check is only for those with registered guns.

I have not done either.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom