• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Ammo buying experience post July 1.

Planetcat

I was visiting family in the Sacramento area over the long holiday weekend, so I thought I'd go see what the big sporting goods stores (not Dick's!) were doing about this new ammo process. Went to Sportsmans Warehouse in Rancho Cordova and bought some Barnes rifle ammo and went to Bass Pro in Rocklin to buy some Hornady GMX ammo. In summary, it wasn't horrible and it took about 20 minutes at each store, but both had different procedures.

Sportsmans Warehouse has all the ammo locked up. They have additional staff at the gun counter to help people buying ammo.
1. I ask for ammo, gal gets it out of the locked shelf. 2. She can't hand me the ammo until I've paid. She also asks me a few questions to make sure I don't get denied by the stupid state. 3. She runs the "check" on me (just like a DROS). I used my older CDL that is not Real ID but also doesn't have the "federal limits apply" BS on it either. They swipe my CDL and I pass. 4. She then passes the paperwork and my ammo to another guy who rings me up and charges me the extra dollar for the background check. Regular price, no gouging. They are not 100% dialed in on the entire process though.

BassPro also has all the ammo locked up. The store was not busy, so I got helped within 5 minutes. 1. Guy gets my GMX ammo out of the case. 2. Gives it to other guy who has to go to the laptop kiosk where I guess they do the paperwork for gun purchases. They are trying to figure out how to do the transaction. 3. Guy says he needs to collect the $1 first before they proceed. I pay $1, guy asks me questions, swipes my ID, and I pass. 4. Bass Pro has me sign the first sheet and gets my fingerprint! 5. Guy prints out another sheet and gets fingerprint again! 6. Guy takes ammo to register and rings me up.

I tell the guys as BassPro that SW didn't get my finger print and I only signed one sheet. They were intrigued by this, but attributed it to the typical BassPro/Cabela's overkill on this type of stuff. The fingerprint BS was the irritating part.

I'm sure I flagged some bureaucrat alarm by going to 2 different stores and buying ammo (only couple of boxes) within an hour, but SW didn't have the gmx. Ironically, it's the stupid lead ban reason I had to go to two stores in the first place. If this is the new normal, these stores are going to have to find a smoother way and not take 20 minutes per person to just buy a couple boxes of hunting ammo. At both stores, the clerks couldn't have been nicer or more sympathetic to this ridiculous procedure, and I was very patient with them understanding that they are just doing their job.

Plain ol' Steve

Thanks for posting that up. Glad to hear it wasn't any worse. I doubt that anyone will be checking the transaction data until they need a reason to go after you for something.

ltdann

Since I hadn't purchased a firearm since 2014, I had to open a CFARS account and register a rifle. Otherwise, I won't have passed the check since I didn't a firearm in the database. The lady at the store called someone at CFARS to determine this before I paid my $1. Apparently, you need at least one firearm on record to pass the check. After that, you can buy any ammo you want, regardless of caliber/gauge.

blazintowers

how far back do they go on a gun purchase? do you need to have a recent purchase within the last year? two years?

Planetcat

how far back do they go on a gun purchase? do you need to have a recent purchase within the last year? two years?
I forgot to mention that was one of the pre-questions they asked me. Like Lt Dan said, I think their database goes back only as far as 2014. I'm assuming that it's Jan. 1, 2014, but who knows with this state.

Limited Out

I would be extremely surprised if the state could tell the vendor if you had been to one store or thirty that day attempting to purchase ammo. That's just one problem I see with this system. The state is collecting a bunch of data and won't have the wherewithal in managing that data in a way that protects the average law abiding citizen. I would like to see some honest data on how many times the state's ammo vendors refused a sale because the purchaser had a criminal background or mental health issues in the first year statewide. I am glad I reload 95% of the stuff I shoot.

TheGDog

I'd be very surprised if they didn't have a Vendor ID with each submission. I'd set it up that way if I was implementing it on the DOJ side. That way they'd have one helluva transactional trail. It'd only be one more UniqueID column in the table. Also... it would sort of protect your right to privacy in a manner of speaking, since an entity would have to have a VendorID to submit with it in order to check if the state considers you as passing.

I could certainly see that kind of info being on a need to know basis. As such, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a VendorID as well as some other Authentication for only some of the employees in the establishment. The Vendor would want that to cover them for liability, just in case some employee who wasn't given permission to run a check perhaps tried to do so for some other persons ID information in order to try to be slick and make a sale on the side. Both the DOJ and the Vendor would want to prevent that.

FTTPOW

The last time I purchased ammo I picked it up off of the shelf, walked to the checkout line, paid for it and walked out. But then again, I don't live in California. I live in a free State.

Common Sense

Grandson was turned down today. He has the new drivers license and a current ccw but recently moved and has not purchased a firearm at the new address. He could pay $20 for a background and get the ammo in ten days. He will have to do that every time until he buys a gun with his current address. This is stupid.

ltdann

Grandson was turned down today. He has the new drivers license and a current ccw but recently moved and has not purchased a firearm at the new address. He could pay $20 for a background and get the ammo in ten days. He will have to do that every time until he buys a gun with his current address. This is stupid.
I think he can open a CFARS ACCOUNT and change the address online.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom