Ammo Deals - (and what type?)

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
I figured I'd stock up on some duck ammo and, maybe, go buy a box a week. Then I started thinking, maybe it would be worth buying mail order but, isn't there some extra hazardous material shipping charge because its "evil" ammunition? Would this kill any savings I might get buying mail order? Would I be better off with my original plan of buying a box every week or so? (I know that would be less hazardous then the wife seeing a case show up on the front porch, LOL)

Also, second part, what's everyone's opinion on the type and shot size? I've been using mostly #3 steel 3" shells (usually Kent) but was wondering if it was really worth it to spend the extra bucks for bismuth or tungsten or other such "premium" ammo? I have tried some in the past and didn't really seem to have any more results with it but was wondering what others think? Also, for the occasional goose that flies by, is #3's enough?

ksberry209

Reaction score
When I buy in bulk I usually go through Cabelas becuase of the added shipping and most of the time I cant find what I am looking for at the local shops. As far as shipping goes nothing out of the ordinary but it does have to be shipped via ground so it will take a few extra days.

For size I like 2 and 4's and always try and carry a few BB's for the honkers if they fly by.

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
I don't know how often you hunt but I won a case of #2 Federal 3" steel at a pheasant hunt about 5 years ago. I still have 4-5 boxes. I am somewhat selective and usually don't shoot unless I believe I have a good chance at hitting the duck. Now, I often miss, but thats my own fault. If I blow a box of shells on one day of duck hunting, it was a banner freakin day.

However, if you have access to more populated hunt areas and can afford it, order a case of Kent #3 faststeel. There's always next season. I only use tungsten when I take out my dad's old Model 12, which is not too often. In my opinion, if you can't hit ducks with Faststeel, you need a new gun or more practice. But I have heard really great things about that Federal Blackcloud stuff too. Oh, and you'll want BB or T shot for the honks.

Like my old man says.......Hunting can be as complicated as you want to make it.

Best of luck,

bux-n-dux

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bux-n-dux @ Aug 12 2008, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't know how often you hunt but I won a case of #2 Federal 3" steel at a pheasant hunt about 5 years ago. I still have 4-5 boxes. I am somewhat selective and usually don't shoot unless I believe I have a good chance at hitting the duck. Now, I often miss, but thats my own fault. If I blow a box of shells on one day of duck hunting, it was a banner freakin day.

However, if you have access to more populated hunt areas and can afford it, order a case of Kent #3 faststeel. There's always next season. I only use tungsten when I take out my dad's old Model 12, which is not too often. In my opinion, if you can't hit ducks with Faststeel, you need a new gun or more practice. But I have heard really great things about that Federal Blackcloud stuff too. Oh, and you'll want BB or T shot for the honks.

Like my old man says.......Hunting can be as complicated as you want to make it.

Best of luck,

bux-n-dux[/b]
bux,

I hear ya on having the ammo for a while. Last year I only bought a couple boxes as I had a lot left over from the year before. However, last year I had a couple very good hunts and several pretty good hunts, and I also went more often then I have in the past so I burned up almost all of it. I figure if I do buy a case it will probably be good for two seasons at least, (but I can always hope to shoot it all in one season, LOL) Also, back in the day, when we could use lead, and didn't have the 25 shell restriction, I would take two shotguns out to the blind. An 870 2 3/4 inch with hand load 1 3/8 oz #5 lead which just knocked the snot out of the ducks and a browning auto 5 - 3 inch with 1 7/8 oz (I think) lead BB's. I'd just set the auto 5 in the corner of the blind and it was only used if geese came by. Now, with the 25 shell restriction, I hate to "waste" (for lack of a better word) part of my 25 on 4 or 5 BB or T shells when there's only a small possibility of geese. I wish they'd let us have something like 5 rounds of geese loads in addition to our 25 for ducks but I guess I'll either have to hike back to the truck for more after I burn up my 20 (if I'm holding 5 larger shot for geese) or hope that any geese that come by are in range for the smaller #3's.

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
You can still have 2 shotguns. I myself have never been checked for the 25 shell law, and have watched guys walk onto hunt areas, set up, and proceed to shoot way, way more than 25 shells per hunter without leaving the treeline they were in. I'm certainly not suggesting you carry more than 25 shells with you. However, load that A5 with 3 goose loads, and then you still have 22 spaces left for duck loads. I myself almost NEVER get a shoot at a goose, but last year bent over for some hevi-shot and keep a few of those in my coat or very nearby, and the appropriate amount of duck loads as well.

I see you don't live around me but my local neighborhood sport shop sells Kent Faststeel for around 10 bucks a box if you order a case. Now, I would never need a case but I do get a box or 2 from them. One thing you might try........if you find a great deal online and calculate the total with shipping, go down to your neighborhood sport shop (I'm not talking about Wal-Mart) and tell them that you found this deal online but if they can match the price (or come reasonably close to it) you would rather give them the business and establish a relationship with them. I tried that with a Springfield .45 I was going to get on Gunbroker and I now have a great relationship with my local gun shop. We as hunters and outdoorsmen can support the small, local shop that is trying to make a living selling the very things we love. Just a thought.

'Give 'Em Hell!!!!

bux-n-dux

Duck Dreamer

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bux-n-dux @ Aug 12 2008, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Best of luck,

bux-n-dux[/b]

Very insightful....Always seem to enjoy the KISS days...a box of shells, a deck or 2 and a gun!

ksberry209

Reaction score
I hear you on the guys out there shooting way more than their 25 rounds but I was checked twice last season. They went through all my gear and counted my shells. They even questioned me on a few shells that were older with the "steel" labeling that had worn off. I think my saving grace was that i had a few newer shells of the same type that were still labeled with "steel shot".

Yeah I figure I could have hid a few in my pockets under my waders but I am one of those guys who plays by the rules.

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
ks-

Need to clarify here........I'll keep 3 goose loads in my coat or nearby and 22 duck loads as well, totaling 25 shells. I too play by the rules. Well, mostly, at least when it comes to hunting anyways.

bux-n-dux

calfowler

Reaction score
Caninelaw; Buy a case of the Kent 3" #3's and don't look back. Get the 1560 fps shells, they rock. You will dig shooting the same loads and having them at your disposal all season. You should be able to get them for a good deal (12 to 13 dollars a box) . If you can shoot 3 1/2" go to http://www.rodgerssportinggoods.com and get the Federal speedshok 3 1/2" 1 3/8oz 1550 fps #3's for 149.99 delivered to your front door. No tax and no delivery charge. Best deal that you will find.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom