And I thought my problems were over

dalliwacker

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2001
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Well I had the timer working great the Cam was snapping off pictures like a champ and I decided to RTV everything in.  After all was said and done I paced myself back and forth in front of the camera from about 20 ft out...nothing.  So I tried from 15 ft...nothing.  It literally took me putting my hand an inch in front of the sensor for it to pick up my motion.  I am kinda ticked off right about now, because not only do I have to figure out what is wrong with the sensor, I have to cut all of the RTV away from the sensor housing.  I did manage to pull the fresnal lense away from the sensor to see if the PIR sensor and photocell were visible and not obscured.  I took a swab and alcohol to the two and cleaned them off, but still no luck.  If I was in the position to go down to Wally World and buy another sensor for $8, I would.  However, where I live the closest Walmart is 6 hours away.  Therefore I either have to troubleshoot this one or get a relative to ship me up another.  So does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks....Jim
 



Welby

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2001
Messages
3,341
Reaction score
3
Man, you're gonna have to change your name to Lucky, aren't you??  Ha, ha....  Sounds like you have my kind of luck.

Two things immediately come to mind, three things rather.  First of all, is your battery fully charged?  The difference between a battery that has been used for repeated testing while the camera is being constructed and a fully charged one can make the difference.

The second and third things concern the fresnel lens.  If you changed the distance or position of the lens relative to the sensor itself, that can throw things off quite a bit.  Some builders who used the MS20 fabricated custom assemblies for their fresnel lenses only to find that the distance from the sensor eye to the lens had to remain exactly as it originally was.  Also, if you are using the MS20 (which I think you said you are) check to see if you reinstalled the lens upside down.  

Finally, the third thing, are there any scratches on your fresnel lens?  Inspect it carefully because I have read that scratches on the lens can render the sensor useless.  If so, replace the lens.  I am sure that some of the others here have a spare just lying around that they would be more than glad to share.  (With all the MS20s that I have heard have been burned up, there should be PLENTY of spares!)

Good Luck, Mr. Lucky Dalliwacker!  Hope this helps! And if it doesn't, don't tell anyone you heard it from me.

P.S.  What does dalliwacker mean anyway?

(Edited by Welby at 6:42 pm on May 20, 2001)
 

Welby

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2001
Messages
3,341
Reaction score
3
One more thing, I think it was spectr17 that once said that when removing RTV or silicon, vinegar could be used to soften it.  This could aid you in removing it.

Also, I too had to disassemble my camera once.  This, like you, necessitated me removing my MS20 from a buildup of silicon.  I found that by gently pushing and pulling at the cured silicon around the sensor, I could get it to unattach itself cleanly from the components and the camera housing.  Silicon RTV is a very sticky and gooey substance that offers great adhesion to almost anything, but it doesn't stand up to a lot of motion, pushing or pulling.  It's not that hard to remove, fortunately.
 

dalliwacker

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2001
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Welby

You can call me Lucky if you want, but I am starting to lean towards the names of crazy, dumb, and insane.  Saturday morning the sensor worked as stated above.  I decided to pack my fly rod and tent and do an overnighter for rainbows .  I just got back and posted this topic on the forum, because it bugged the heck out of me the last 24 hours.  Well, after posting I took the camera outside to play with it some more.  I don't know if it was in the way I picked it up or all the silent prayers I made to get the thing to work, but it worked, and worked GOOD!  Before removing the lens from the housing there were zero scratches on it, after prying it away from the housing I managed to put a 1/2" scratch on the lower portion of the lense.  However it doesn't seem to be menace.  Maybe the Homebrew Gods thought it would be funny if I posted the topic and made myself look like a complete idiot before I could get it to work.  I did nothing to the camera, but clean the lenses.

I'll keep your pointers in mind though in case I have to troubleshoot it again.  Many thanks for your info, and definitely Tinhorn (I think I drove him crazy too.)

BTW, my handle...Dalliwacker is an artsy name I came up with for a Dall sheep hunter.  The Greek name for Dall Sheep is Ovis Dalli Dalli.  Some people let their dirty minds get carried away and come up with the unthinkable.  I can see how that could happen.  
 

Latest Posts



Top Bottom