Android Auto ... looking for some input

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
OK, I know this is a hunting forum, but I figure some of you fart smellers have some good input for me. I finally broke down and got myself a NTM truck; 2018 Chebby 4WD with 14,XXX miles. I'm happy so far.

It has some bells and whistles that I'm not used to paying for, but I'm enjoying the on-board navigation package and XM radio. However, it is also Android Auto compatible. So I D/L'd Android Auto to my phone and hooked it up. I don't get it. I have navigation, but now I can use Google maps? Is that all it adds? I can view and send texts through bluetooth, so Android Auto didn't really have anything else to offer. I thought I was supposed to have full control of my phone thorugh the truck interface. Am I misunderstanding that? What features does it add that I don't already have?

Reaction score
There is a specific USB plug you need to plug your phone into, then you can call via voice, ask google questions, say take me to bla blabla, and it will route you there via google maps, texts will pop up on the vehicle screen, you can respond via voice...

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
First let me say that I am NOT a computer person. The dealer enabled Android auto on my 2017 F250. After about 2 months I had my son disable it. It drove me crazy with the things it tried to do when I first started my truck. It's default was always Amazon Music which meant I had to hit the other options on the screen EVERY time I started my truck.. The GPS maps would always shut down when I stopped the truck for any reason. On a longer trip I would then have to reprogram my destination. PITA. I could go on but I am much happier without it. My son also disabled the app in his 2016 Chevy for the same reasons.

My personal opinion on some of the wonderful things the computers can do in your vehicle are a huge distraction while you are driving. I can still answer and place calls, have the text messages read to me and ask Google questions while driving without Android Auto being enabled so like you I saw very little benefit for me.
I also did not keep Sirius radio after the 6 month free trail period. I have more music on my phone and can stream more while driving so I didn't use it much. I still play CDs in my vehicles.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
When i got my new AM/FM with a backup camera installed in my 2005 truck it came with all kinds of fancy doo dads. You can use a cable to run the radio with your phone or just use the handsfree bluetooth to make calls. Thats all i usually do. I use my 2nd cell phone as my GPS with google maps. Out here in CA you cant hold a cell, needs to be bluetooth or headset while driving.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
That's all good input; thanks for that. With bluetooth enabled, I have a lot of functionality, but I still haven't figured out how to send a text from the truck. It's not a big issue; I shouldn't be trying to send a text while driving anyway; even if it is all hands-free.

Brnsvllyjohn, I'm jealous. I only got 3 months of free XM/Sirius radio. I would love to have more. Like you, I have a lot of music on my USB stick, and it plays well, but of course, I don't have everything, so XM-7 has been giving me lots of good old-school jam. I'm going to miss it when the trial period is over, but I'm not about to pay those kind of prices for a scam. They say it's ad free, but there's all kinds of junk in between the songs. I'd pay $5/month, but that's about it.

Limited Out

Reaction score
If you really put your mind to it you can have all that stuff figured out by the time you are ready to sale the truck. Some of the stuff is pretty good, most of it is overkill!

Top Bottom