Animal Advocates Protest Killing Of Coyotes

foulshot

Reaction score
Animal Advocates Protest Killing Of Coyotes
Coyotes Preying On Pets In Retirement Community

POSTED: 4:14 pm PDT July 26, 2004
UPDATED: 4:22 pm PDT July 26, 2004

SAN DIEGO -- Animal advocates protested Monday the extermination of coyotes in Oceanside, 10News reported.

A protest was held Monday afternoon outside the Department of Fish and Game in Clairemont.

Fish and Game determined the coyotes were a public threat after they repeatedly attacked small pets in the retirement community of Ocean Hills.

Protesters said it's the residents who attract the coyotes.

Jane Cartmill, a protester, said, "People have to change their behavior. They have to change the situations that attract animals. Until we change that, it will never end."

Four coyotes have already been killed. Trapping will continue through the week.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
To be honest with you, I am fully hunting these coyotes. But I think it is a big waste of Tax money to trap them. Its a waste of time! No matter how much of them you kill off. More will take there place. POINTLESS and a waste of our tax money. My

onecoyote

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I think it's funny. Just shows you younger ones what's in the future for you, Animals are much more important then people. I think we need to start trapping people and sending them back to the citys where they came from. I like the word EXTERMINATION of coyotes lol, who said that? I bet it was the news. Funny thing happend the public don't know about. About 15 years ago or so they had the same problem in and around Oceanside with the coyotes. They got some guys in our club, The California Varmint Callers to go in there at night and kill off a few coyotes. It worked, the coyotes cooled it for about 15 years lol. I have to somewhat agree with Protester Janie, the problem is not the coyotes, it's the people.

BDOG

Reaction score
I'm with you Danny. If they aren't here legally send em back. I went through the border check n. of Niland the other day. I asked "Do you really think your going to catch em standing here on the highway in the shade". This check point has been there for atleast twenty years . Let's make it more exciting by relocating them every 24hrs. Then we'll catch twice as many. But noo we can't do that . It wouldn't be legal. What a placre we live in. Maybe I should go into politics. Sure piss of alot of people in a hurry.The latest. We need more jails. There is alot of desert out there. I like sen. Mcain way. Short on troops. Empty the jails. Soldier your going to the front line. Now there is an incentive plan to stay out of trouble. I'm on a roll . Keep on laughing. I'LL VOTE FOR IF IT EVER COMES UP.

foulshot

Reaction score
2nd community seeks state's help with coyotes

Abatement effort nearby has drawn ire
By Lola Sherman
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
July 28, 2004

OCEANSIDE – Darlene Schumann still mourns her two Yorkshire terriers, killed by a coyote bold enough to walk through the pet door of her Rancho del Oro home to get to the small dogs.

Hers is the second neighborhood in Oceanside to ask for help in the wake of what appear to be bolder raids by hungry coyotes from nearby canyons.

State Department of Fish and Game employees have trapped and killed at least four coyotes at the nearby Ocean Hills retirement community at the request of residents.

A meeting of Rancho del Oro homeowners is scheduled late this afternoon to talk about the problem there. It is not open to the public, said a spokeswoman for the Prescott Co., which manages the neighborhood of more than 2,600 homes.

The homeowners asked for help from Fish and Game this week, and Schumann hopes someone from that agency will attend today's meeting. Department officials could not be reached for comment.

Animal advocate groups picketed the department's San Diego regional headquarters Monday to protest the coyote killings. On Friday, about a dozen people holding signs asking that the wild animals not be killed stood at Melrose Drive and Cannon Road, near the gated Ocean Hills community.

Jane Cartmill with San Diego Animal Advocates said yesterday that she is sympathetic to Schumann's loss. She said the coyote that killed her dogs July 5 was an "unusually aggressive, desperate animal" that perhaps should be killed, if it could be singled out.

But Cartmill said people who live near wildlife shouldn't have small pets. German shepherds would be a better choice, she said.

One of Schumann's neighbors, Sally Ballou, said it disturbs her to think of how her cat died when it was attacked in its own yard in broad daylight by a coyote.

Ballou said coyotes have walked into people's kitchens and ambled down streets in the Rancho del Oro neighborhood, even during the daytime.

Schumann said her dogs were attacked between 8 and 9 a.m. One was killed in the yard and the other was apparently grabbed as it cowered in a corner of a closet. She said the coyote tried to drag the mortally injured pet out the doggie door, but the door wasn't big enough to accommodate both animals.

Schumann rushed the dog to a veterinarian, who said it might never recover properly, and euthanized it.

Cartmill suggested pet owners attach devices that resemble rolling pins to the tops of fences to make it difficult for cats and dogs to get out and for predators to get in.

She said residents should never leave out food or water, and should cover garbage cans and wrap meat or pet-food scraps in plastic with ammonia or some other strong-smelling substance to keep animals out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lola Sherman: (760) 476-8241; lola.sherman@uniontrib.com

I guess it would be out of the question to ask the F&G if I could give them a hand!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom