Annual Wister volunteer day set for this Saturday, 9/8/01

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Annual Wister volunteer day set for this Saturday.

NILAND -- The annual hunter volunteer day at the Wister Unit of the Imperial Wildlife Area will be this Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon followed by the Department of Fish and Game hosted barbecue. Jim Chakarun, the new refuge manager, said he was looking forward to the annual event where duck hunters come down to help do routine maintenance on the wildlife area. He said it would give him a chance to meet the regulars and talk hunting. Chakarun said the wildlife area was just starting its flooding of ponds, with 400 acres already in water at mid-week and the first pintails of the season already using the ponds. For more information, contact the wildlife area at (760) 359-0577.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Well I drove down early this morning to help out at Wister. I only hunted there once last season and I thought this might be a good opportunity to meet some of the staff and regulars, see more of the area then just my blind and give a little back. The project for the day was to set out parking signs for the blinds in the parking areas. The way it sounds this season you will have a parking space for your particular blind. After signing in and meeting a few of the people there I picked up the signs for 115A and headed out with my truck. I dropped off the first two signs in Lot 6 and headed to Lot 7. One of the other volunteers passed me and told me I had a flat tire. Two of the lug nuts were cross threaded and I ended up snapping the lugs off trying to get the lugnuts off!! On top of that my spare was almost flat. One of the DFG staffers let me fill up my spare in the yard and then I limped my way into Indio to get the lugs replaced. To make a long story short I missed the BBQ, helpin out and gettin to know the DFG staff. Oh well next time. Anyone else have a better report than me?

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
You missed an awesome bar b que. Carne asada and Chicken with all the fix'ns. We were assigned the U area. you should'a gone to the tire place in Niland. Glad to hear you made home ok. I kept nodding off and wound up Stopping at the fruit stand by the I10xhwy60 intersection for ice cream.

Top Bottom