Another Camera to use!!!

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I walked into Wallyworld today hoping to find an Owl on the clearance rack.  You guessed it, no such luck.  However, they did have about 30 Polaroid 2400FF cameras for only $25 each.  They were marked down from $35.  They come with a carry case, batteries, and three rolls of 400 speed film.  I saw these a while back and was reluctant to buy one.  I always had the impression Polaroid did not know how to make a 35mm camera.

Anyway for $25 bucks I figured what the heck and bought two.  To my surpise, they work quite well.  They have a date back with an electronic shutter, mechanical frame count window, 10 second timer, red eye, flash options.  The manual says that it has a 1 minute power down mode, but for some reason the ones I got never power down.  

I have already wired both of them up and it only required two wires soldered to the PCB board directy to exisiting pads.  I simply tapped into the center push button pad and all works well.  They were very easy to take apart and wire.  I have had them on for 14 hours to see if they would ever power down automatically or loose their flash charge and they don't.  There is however about a 3 second delay between the time the shutter is triggered and the picture is taken after the camera has been sitting a while.  

One other note about the camera, the flash will only fire if film is in the camera.  If no film is loaded, the shutter will trigger and the film advance motor will come on but the flash will not fire.  

(Edited by Jaggermax at 1:55 am on Oct. 20, 2001)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Thanks Jaggermax!  Excellent find.  Have to go check some out.  Let us know if the cam ever shuts down or if the flash gets really discharged after sitting for a week or so.
Also like to hear about picture quality /flash power.

Could always use a 1/2 shutter "refresh" like Tinhorn uses on his Owls to keep the flash topped off.

Archilochus

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Good news.  I have had one camera running constantly for over 4 days now and it has not gone into sleep mode.  I pressed the shutter button today and it waited about a second and then snapped a picture with flash.  The only other thing I need check on see is the flash distance.  The manual says its 15-20 feet with ISO 400 film.  Should be better with 800 film.  It's not as powerful as the Owl PF, but it should suit me fine.  

South

Reaction score
How bout some pics on how to wire this bad boy.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Thanx a lot

You must be really experienced by now, at taking apart all those cameras, I remember you listing about a dozen a few months ago that you got......

Tinhorn

bigmandude

Reaction score
i have seen these cameras in wally world but like you, i didnt have much faith in the polaroid name... would like to try one though if they work out.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
BigManDude >> Let us know what not to touch on the Polaroid.

:)

bigmandude

Reaction score
guaranteed, if there is something in there i shouldnt touch ,,, it is guaranteed that i will

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn, unfotrunately, I have spent way to much time messing with different cameras.  Wife is telling me that it is time to sell the ones I cant use on EBAY.  I have to agree with her. Anyway, I am always looking for new cameras, just so that I dont have to rely on the ever so elusive OWL!  

The wiring for the Polaroid is really straight forward. Remove the cover and you will see three switch pads on the circuit board directly under where the rubber shutter button is located.  The pad in the center is the only one you need to connect to.  Fortunatley, both sides of the center pad go out to the front edge of the board where a wire can easily be soldered to each of the terminals.  If you have a continuity tester, you can easily trace the two contacts on the edge of the board.  I will try to take some pictures tomorrow and post them to show exactly how they are connected.  

bradleydale

Reaction score
Hi Jaggermax,

Have you had a chance to test this new camera for results?? I like the size of the camera, will fit some other cases I have for a compact model.

Brad

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey Bradley, I got two in the woods now.  My brother set one of my cams with the polaroid up last week for me, but I forgot to tell him dont place it over any running water.  He put it smack in the middle of the steam on top of a fallen tree near a crossing.  It was a small, fast moving creek and when I went back, I noticed my event recoreder on my cam had all of the pictures 5 minutes apart.  Needless to say, I developed the roll and got 24 identical picture of a nice stream.  The quality of the pics was very good though!  ;),  

I am pulling my two other polaroid cams out of the woods this weekend.  I will let you know how they turn out.  

bradleydale

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for the info..

I bought 4 of these cameras on clearance at Wally World. They will fit real nicely inside some compact cases that my owls would not.

I'm going to start taking mine apart tonight to tinker with it.

Brad

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
PICKED ONE UP THIS WEEKEND.  THEY ARE MARKED DOWN TO $22.50 NOW.  I USED SOME PC KEYBOARD WIRE TO SOLDER TO THE SMALL PINS.  I TESTED EVERYTHING AND WAS WONDERING WHY MY FLASH WOULDN'T WORK.  I READ ONE OF YOUR EARLIER POSTS AND GOT MY ANSWER.....NO FILM, NO FLASH.  THANKS FOR THE INFO.  IT WAS WAY EASIER TO MODIFY AND I LEFT THE ORIGINAL SHUTTER BUTTON AND REWIND IN PLACE TOO.  WILL POST PICS AS SOON AS THE REST OF THE CAM IS BUILT.

migenaus

Reaction score
I purchased one of these a couple of weeks ago and wired it up and placed it in the woods...The flash isn't very strong and the picture quality is'nt as good as the Owls, but if you use it in a place where the maximum distance is around 15' the flash works pretty good...I did use the Polaroid film that came with the unit so you may want to try a higher grade like Kodak...That may help with picture quality.
Mike

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I got both of the poloroids out of the woods this weekend.  One camera took about 8 pictures, but when I tried to rewind the film, the rewind jammed, so I had to scrap that roll.  When I took out the film, I noticed a small screw inside the film housing.  DOH!!!!

The second camera had taken a full roll and I just got them back today.  Picture quality is fine, but as migenaus mentioned, the flash distance is only about 15 feet.  I have a few pics of deer at about 25 feet, but you can only make out their eyes and their body.  You really can't determine if they are bucks or does though except on a few.  The day pictures look great.  I too used the poloroid film that came with the camera (400 speed).  I will try the 800 next time.  

wvhunter

Reaction score
Was just wondering how the testing on this cam was going.  If you can post some pics taken with this cam.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
JAGGERMAX, I COMLETED MY FIRST CAM TONIGHT WITH THE POLAROID 2400FF.  EVERYTHING WORKS FINE WITH ONE EXCEPTION.  I BOUGHT ON OF THE NEW MAINSTAY SENSORS(WM2) AND ON IT'S BOX IT STATES THEIR IS 90 SECOND WARM UP PERIOD.  THE CAMERA FIRES WHEN THE SENSOR TRIPS, BUT THE RELAY STAYS OPEN LONGER AND IT WILL TAKE A VERY FAST DOUBLE PHOTO EVERYTIME.  I WAS WONDERING IF YOU WERE HAVING THE SAME RESULTS?  I GUESS IF I WERE TO PUT ONE OF JOE D'S TIMERS IN THE SYSTEM IT WOULD STOP THAT PROBLEM?  THANKS FOR ANY TIPS.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I THINK A LOT OF IT HAS TO DO WITH THE SENSOR.  I'VE BUILT 4 OTHER CAMS WITH THE REGENT MS20 SENSOR.  I TOOK THE POLAROID CAM AND PUT IN THE HOUSING OF ONE OF THE ORIGINAL SENSORS AND IT WORKED TO A CHARM.  I TOOK ONE OF MY CANON OWL AF8 AND PUT THEM IN THE NEW HOUSING WITH THE MAINSTAY WM2 AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY.  I THINK THE REFRESH TIME OF THE CANON IS LONGER THAN THE POLAROID AND THAT IS WHY IT DIDN'T TAKE 2 PICS.  THE POLAROID PAIRED WITH THE NEW MAINSTAY IS THE PROBLEM.  THE NEW SENSOR'S RELAY STAYS TRIPPED LONGER AND THE POLAROID'S REFRESH TIME IS SHORTER THAN THE CANONS ALLOWING FOR THE 2ND PIC.  I'LL PROBABLY ORDER ANOTHER ONE OF JOE D'S TIMERS.  THE 2ND PICS ISN'T NECCESSARILY A HORRIBLE THING?????  THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

Top Bottom