Another question on patterning shotguns

sdbrewer

Reaction score
What distance do you folks pattern at?

What kind of results do you get?

I shot three targets each of 3" No. 2 Federal 1.125 oz and 3" No. 2 Kent 1.125 both at 1500 fps out of my Winchester X2 with a modified choke. I got an average of approximately 60 pellets in a 30" circle from the Feds and approximately 70 pellets in a 30" circle from the Kent. Both patterns had some significant gaps in them. So it looks like I'm getting approximately 50% of the pellets in the 30" circle. Where do I go from here if I want a more dense pattern at that distance? Although winchester makes an improved modified I don't currently have one as it did not come with my gun. I do, however, have a full choke. I've heard that one isn't supposed to shoot steel shot through a full choke due to possible barrel bulging. The manual that came with the gun says not to shoot steel through the full because the pattern will be blown; it doesn't mention any problem with barrel bulging or other safety concerns. Has anyone shot steel through a full choke in a modern gun that is designed to handle steel shot? If so, what sort of results did you get?

If I'm going to buy another choke tube, I'm tempted to go with either the Carlson's or pattern master. Anyone out there use either? What sort of results?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BDG

Reaction score
I think once you start testing with an aftermarket choke you will see a significant increase in density.

chavarriamj

Reaction score
I use a Carleson full choke tube in my 1187 and I get about 70% density the last time I patterned it. That was at about 35 to 40 yards.

Webfoot

Reaction score
SD, keep us posted on what you end up with for a choke tube. I purchased my X-2 at the end of last season and it shoots pretty nice. Cleaning it was a different story though, modern autos are a trip compared to my Browning A-5.

sdbrewer

Reaction score
Webfoot,

I think I will probably shoot a couple of targets with the full choke before I go any further (likely next week) unless I hear that even shooting a couple of steel no. 2's through the full could cause problems. I'll let you know how that turns out. I'm a little surprised that you find it difficult to clean. The only tricky part is the gas regulator or whatever that piece is with all the holes in it at the top of the magazine. I use a tooth brush dipped in Hope's No. 9 to dislodge the real gunk and then follow it up with some quick blasts of Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber into each of the little holes. After several seasons, mine still looks pretty close to new. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom