Another shotgun question

Ringneck

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with a Franchi Alcione field model O/U? I'm somewhat intrigued by the ability to switch from 12-gauge to 20-gauge and vice versa just by swapping out the barrels. Also, they're good-looking guns, but I don't want something that's going to double-up on me frequently or kick the crap out of me during a long day of clay shooting.

huntmuch

Reaction score
Ringneck
You're better off getting a single gauge deal rather than the combo deal. The 20ga bbls on the 12ga frame will not lighten the gun nearly as much. If your looking for the easier carry and swing of a 20ga., you'll want to get one that's built on an appropriately matching frame. If you want the benefits of 20ga and you plan to only upland hunt the gun...then buy a 20ga o/u or sxs. But, beware many production gun manufacturers build the lesser gauges on a 12ga frame. If you plan to hunt w/fowl with it as well...get a 12 ga.
Randy

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
The 20/28 gauge combos work pretty well in the field since they generally use the same size frame. I keep looking at the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon combo. I have 4 bbl skeet set and like separate barrels better than tubes for the sub gauges, even though you use a full size frame for all barrels - even .410. But that's a target gun.

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
if you go to the shotgun forum, you'll find a guy or two that own this gun, maybe not in the combo, but straight up!
Combo guns are a bit of a novelty, but I wouldn't mind having one myself. One thing to keep in mind though, you require additional ammo, and I would prefer hitting the field with plenty of one gauge than some of two, but, to each his own.
Most of the manufacturers offer combo guns, usually in a 12/16, 20/28 combo and the 12/20. A brother of mine bought a SXS by Bernadelli combo 20/28, a bit pricey at the time, but most of the combo guns are going to pricey!
The Beretta combo previously mentioned is around a $3k set or more depending on grade!
Upland game hunting, IMHO, should be done with the lightest gun possible, which usually means a 20 ga or lighter, although Beretta offers the "Ultralight" 12ga. weighing in under six pounds, the Frannchi don't get that light in 12ga. That's why most of the combo guns will be 20/28 or 28/.410 combos. And 28 and .410 ammo is expensive!
The Alcione is a fine looking gun, but too heavy in 12ga. I recommend the Beretta Ultralight Deluxe, looks as good as the Alcione but weighs over a pound less, maybe more! It comes in 2.75" chambers only, in case you want to use it for waterfowl, then you may be better off with the Alcione, I believe it is a 3".

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
The Silver Pigeon 20/28 2 bbl sets can be had for $2,300-$2,400 - NIB or ANIB. I see them all the time on GunsAmerica. 28 ga shells are expensive but it only really matters if you are burning up boxes of shells at the range and don't reload. For hunting use, the added ammo expense is incidental, especially given the performance of the 28 ga. Most people (me included) say it shoots as effectively as a 20 but with less weight and recoil.

Also, I would never buy a field gun, especially in a sub-gauge that did not have 3" chambers. But you have to be careful when you use 3" loads. I busted a covey of chukars yesterday and was trying to hunt up some singles when Apolo locked up on point right where I thought they were. Out pop 2 quail simultaneously BANG! BANG! and I got my first double on quail! Yay for me!! Unfortunately, I was expecting chukar and hit 'em full and mod with 3" 20 ga plated #6's at about 20 and 25 yards. Not good. There wasn't much left. Even the dog didn't want to pick them up. They went in the bag, but not much the pot. - I salvaged one breast.

Top Bottom