Another turkey choke question - finicky BPS

quax

Reaction score
I posted this on another forum as well, but thought I'd share it here as well. Thanks..

I have a Browning BPS with a 24" barrel. I'm shooting Winchester 3.5" #5s, 2oz. So far with regular lead #5s, I've tried several chokes and haven't found one that patterns well yet; the list includes: Truglo .665 Strut Stopper by Mark Bansner, Trulock .660 and .665., a Jellyhead, and a Kicks Gobblin Thunder .670.

All these chokes perfomed about the same, only putting about 65-85 pellets in a 10" ring at 40yds. I think the Trulock .660 and Truglo .665 performed the worst. The trulock .665 and Kicks GT both were in the mid 80s; the jellyhead .670 was around 80 pellets

The exception was the Gobblin Thunder when I shot 3.5" #6s (2.25oz) thru it, and it had around 100 pellets in the 10" ring - these were some older federals without the flite control wad - no longer made.

Any other recommendations for a finicky BPS with a 24" barrel. I was thinking of a .675 constiction next, going for a less contricted, non ported choke. Any other thoughts?

mudhen

Reaction score
24" bbl's can be finicky.

One of the shooting Pros over at the NWTF page (Night Hawk I think) shows how the 24" BPS does not pattern as well as the 28" version. But he still gets around 200 pellets in the 10" with a 24" BPS and an Indian Creek choke (.655 or .665) shooting H-13 2.25 oz #6's. I think he is closer to 300 hits with the 28" BPS.

I was getting mediocre patterns with my 28" Browing Gold until I switched to H-13 2.25 oz #6's and a TruGlo SSX (.643). You can really choke down on the H-13 2.25 oz loads.

While I don't always get 200+, I get 160+ on every shot, and over 200 most shots. This is at 41 yards.

I don't get great patterns with any lead load. Lead will still kill a bird just fine though for the most part. I just spend too much time and money to go with a pattern that is just ok.

If I had to offer a suggestions, I'd say try a TruGlo SSX ($35 from Cabela's) and maybe test the H-13 2.25 oz #6's (Midsouth Shooters Supply).

You could also call Indian Creek Shooting Systems for advice.

If you spend some time over on the NWTF Board, you should get good info. Lots of BPS users over there.

Good luck!

mudhen

quax

Reaction score
Thanks mudhen, i'll go over there.

i have a truglo ssx for a beretta, but it didn't do any better than a trulock .650 in that gun.

i was a little hesitant to go to the ssx in this gun because of the .643 diameter. I didn't know if i'd be over constricting it going that low; however, brownings full strut choke's constriction is about the same.

i'm basically just trying to find a reason to keep this gun around. i have a gold classic stalker that gets most of the turkey hunting action and a japanese made A-5 that sees most of the duck hunting. this gun was originally bought for duck hunting. if i don't find a good turkey pattern with it, i may have to sell it cause i don't use it anymore.

Advertisement

Top Bottom