Another Who Done It and Other Big Non-typicals

Big Moose

Reaction score
After reading Bubblehide's thread in Campfire I remembered this similar buck from the past. I used to hang out at the taxidermist's place in Sierraville whenever I could just to see what came in during hunting season. I took these photos back in the 70's. No one could ever figure out how these bullet holes got in these antlers. The guy who shot the buck did not do it. The holes are almost exactly in the same spot on both antlers as if some one was trying to shoot off the horns. Strange. The other bucks are from Nevada and Califonia. I think the two that still have meat on them are from a late hunt in the Doyle area. The early snow that year brought them down from the Dixie Mtn. Game Preserve.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
I would have thought that a bullet through the antler would transfer kenetic energy and just turn the bucks brain to mush. But hey, if a guy harvested the deer like that, I guess not.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Interesting thought Bubblehide but since the bullet did not expand it simply made a hole without transferring very much of it's energy IMNSHO. My son shot a horn off of a very nice buck 2 years ago and we have the horn. The buck was later seen on trail cams and was harvested this year by others unfortunately not by us.

6x7

Reaction score
The holes all most look like it was drilled to hang the horns on a wall! Usually you see blown out chunks on the exit side,it may be there and it's hard to see.

Big Moose

Reaction score
The holes all most look like it was drilled to hang the horns on a wall! Usually you see blown out chunks on the exit side,it may be there and it's hard to see.
Yeah, that's true. The holes on the back side are larger BUT that would have to be some pretty precise shooting. I did not talk to the hunter so I really don't know any more than what the taxidermist told me. Some local guys killed the two from the Doyle area. Did you ever see these... maybe hanging on someone's wall? Nice bucks!

The really big non-typical with the acorn came out of the Carlin area. Some real massive bucks were killed around there back in the day.

6x7

Reaction score
I have never seen the two Doyle bucks in homes I only know a couple people that live in that area,the one guy had a real good buck from 7a from the late 70's or early 80's

Top Bottom