Antelope on the Sac. nwr?

goindeep

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen or heard about these antelope? They appear to be on the refuge on the west side of I-5. I've been commuting through there for a couple months now and I see them once or twice a week. There looks to be about 10 or so, 2 bucks and the rest does and fawns. It seems like a strange place for antelope with all the rice fields around. When I see them, they are always in the same dry ponds right off the highway. I'll try and get some pics of them and post them here.

BigDog

Reaction score
Does not surprise me. I have seen antelope several times between Sac. NWR and Red Bluff.

snoopdogg

Reaction score
I videotaped them several years ago and was surprised as yourself to see speed goats in the valley. Apparently, DFG, from what I've heard, tried to repopulate in traditional areas. I've not looked into it any further than this anecdotal information I'm sharing. Very cool to see them though.

goindeep

Banned
Reaction score
I have also heard that the dfg translanted these goats, just dont know for sure. It seems as though there will be about a zero chance to hunt them in this area. too much private land. Ever since I started packing a camera they haven't showed up, go figure!

84toyota

Reaction score
DFG transplanted them many years ago... there were a number of locations between Red Bluff and Woodland that they put the antelope (I was told this by a retired DFG biologist). The antelope didn't do all that well... The only population that seemed to make it was the small group that you guys are referring to... I usually see them just north of Maxwell. DFGELK might be able to provide more info... He is the elk and pronghorn coordinator for the state...

Ken

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
i have seen them right accross from the refuge and was very amazed but it was cool to see.

D3Lifer

Reaction score
I saw and videotaped them several years back. Won a couple bar bets with that tape.

DFGELK

Reaction score
If I recall they were transplanted there in the 80's? (trying to remember what I have been told off the top of my head. Closer to hwy 20 and the foothills. Apparently they did not stay there but moved a bit. They are just holding their own. There have been reports of antelope on the east side of I-5 but they seem to disappear after awhile. Probably will never be a hunt, they just do not seem to increase to a level that will sustain it. About once a month I receive a call after someone sees them off of I-5.

Joe

Latest Posts

Top Bottom