Antelope Squirrel Pic

Mojave

Reaction score
I enjoyed Jesse's rabby pic so much, I decided to try my own. We have 3 kinds of squirrels living on the property (Beechey's Ground Squirrel, Round Tail G.S., and these little "flappy-tail" Whitetail Antelope Squirrels. I will occasionally pop one or two of the others, but just don't have the heart to lay my sights on one of these little guys.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
You got him eating. Those guys look smaller than a Beechy Mojave. Are they? Almost chipmunk size. Do you also know their range?

Mojave

Reaction score
I catch them eating at least once a week during Spring and Summer, because we drop Sunflower and Safflower seed, along with Quail Blocks, for the birds. The Antelope Squirrels practically jump into the Jeep to get at the free food, but the Roundtails and Beecheys are more standoffish, and wait until we leave. These guys are maybe 2 1/2 inches tall and look and act a lot like a chipmunk. The Roundtails are about 4-5 inches (without tail), and similar in shape. The Beecheys look to me just like a tree squirrel in size and behavior (except for the digging). They are definitely nest-robbers, and we keep them under control as much as possible. The Antelopes are widespread and common, at least in the Mojave Desert. All of my field guides say we shouldn't have the Roundtails at all so far West, and that we are close to the Eastern limit for the Beecheys. None of the guides agree completely as to range, so I don't really trust them.

Advertisement

Top Bottom