antlers

Ross Braastad

Reaction score
Does anyone ever use their cameras to help find out when the deer in their area shed their antlers?  If so do you ever find any of these antlers?  Where do you normally find them,  by a rub or is it usually closer to their bed or feeding area?  I can never seem to find them.  I look all over but just don't seem to find them.  Someone once told me he put some bait into a small 1 foot pit and put logs over it just wide enough to fit a deers head and the  logs nocked loose the antlers and he found a few sheds right by the bait.  I was wondering if anyone ever tried this and if it works?

gizz

Reaction score
A little off topic but since you mentioned game cameras we'll let it go. You might want to post this over in BIG GAME or CAMPFIRE sections to get more response.
I'm not sure how a game camera can be of much help other than to find where the deer are travelling and direction of travel. Usually in the winter food is a bit harder to find for the deer so if you can locate a definate feeding area you may want to focus your efforts there. It's also helpful to know approximately when the deer in your area start to shed antlers so your not spending days looking for something that probably won't be there. I usually get on a heavily used trail and just  w a l k..sometimes several miles keeping my eyes to the ground. I found 3 this way last year but I started a little late and the snow had melted. It's a good way to kill off some time during the long winter months while giving you some good excercise.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I found five different sheds in West Texas but the terrain is different.  Deer in this area seem to loose their antlers when they cross fences or jump creeks.  Subtle terrain changes also cause them to loose antlers.  If they exit a wheat field and their is a drop off at the edge they sometimes go down the drop off and jar them loose at the bottom of the drop off.

If you have features in your area like fences and drop offs they are a good place to start.

Brian

Ross Braastad

Reaction score
Does anyone ever use their cameras to help find out when the deer in their area shed their antlers?  If so do you ever find any of these antlers?  Where do you normally find them,  by a rub or is it usually closer to their bed or feeding area?  I can never seem to find them.  I look all over but just don't seem to find them.  Someone once told me he put some bait into a small 1 foot pit and put logs over it just wide enough to fit a deers head and the  logs nocked loose the antlers and he found a few sheds right by the bait.  I was wondering if anyone ever tried this and if it works?

Ross Braastad

Reaction score

Jackalope

Reaction score
I can definitely say that there is no definite place that you will find sheds.  Antlers fall when antlers fall.  This year my wife was lucky enough to find a SET of non-typical 4 point sheds together near a bed.  That doesn't happen very often from what I've seen.  Usually one will fall off at a different time than the other.  I've seen plenty of bucks walking around with one antler.  I found a 5 point elk shed in June this year and then found the match to it about 75 yards away during my October deer hunt.  My cousin, Stryder, has that one now.  You never know....

Mike

Ross Braastad

Reaction score
When do antlers normally fall off?  is it in thespring summer winter?  Thanks for all the help

Ross Braastad

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the antlers come off?  Is it the fall winter summer or spring and in what months does it normall happen?  Thanks for all the help.

bmulley

Reaction score
Ross, I see from your profile you are from Minnisota.  From what I've read, spring time in that area is the best for shed hunting, just as the snow is melting.  As far as when deer lose their antlers, it is also depending on what climate they are in and how hard of a rut they had.  In general though, it's mid January-end of february.  Bedding, feeding and transition areas are where to look.  you can set up a feed area with chicken wire mounted in some fasion in the center of the feed during this shedding time and may luck out a little.  The guys I know that go out and look spend many hours in the woods checkerboarding areas they have spotted bucks.  It's time consuming but I bet gratifying as well.

BuckSnort

Reaction score
It depends on the geographic location.The further south,the longer the antlers stay on.For the most part muleys shed in Feb-March.

Curtiss

Reaction score
Just for the fun of it, get a tracking collar, and place it on the horns. Durning the spring, turn the receiver on and you can locate them.
   A lot of things will eat the horns, before you find them. Other animals, ants, and insects find the antlers and will get rid of them. I have found some that are in the woods, but not many. I hope that you find the answer. I would like to find some of them that are on are club.
   Take care friend, and have a  Happy New Year!!!!!!!

younghunter

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of some sheds I've found.  Sorry about the photo quality on some, I took them with my digital camera.  The trick to successful shed hunting is watching the bucks/bulls from after christmas till when they are shedding.  When I go in a area I like to sit and glass for sheds.  Then I will walk around the area second.  These are a few pics of some of my sheds(but not even close to all of them LOL).

The bit 4 pt mule deer and 6 pt elk shed were intact when I found them but my spare tire broke them.

monsterbuck

Reaction score
it takes a little time and you will get better each year.  Its really tough and you can look on different deer trails, well basically you have to look every whare on the land if you want any luck.  Tell me how it works out for you.  

Sporty

Reaction score
I have also heard of the bait pile method and that it works like a charm.
Good Luck,
Sporty

d91

Reaction score
Seems last year there were a few posts of one antlered deer. I have a pretty solid trail baited heavily now that the deer season is over. Hoping to get a good idea what's left. My world is hunted HARD... but I'm not very good at it...

We should have a congratulatory thread for those deer who managed to survive the season.

TmKarren

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I think they loose there horns around spring.  When It starts getting warmer.  It's hard to tell if one is gone from a shed, or just broke in a fight, or something.  Unless you have more pictures of the same deer.  or can get a closeup.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Horns have been dropping left and right here, PA.  I know of a couple deer that were shot during the late muzzleloader season that were bucks that had dropped their horns.

ToddP

TmKarren

Reaction score
I took a picture of a buck last week with them still on.  Unless he is one of the few.

(Edited by TmKarren at 10:30 am on Jan. 16, 2002)

(Edited by TmKarren at 10:33 am on Jan. 16, 2002)

woodseye

Reaction score
Well d91 up here in Maine the horns are dropping right now. theres been some nice ones found so far,mainly by people who feed em. They dropem where they spend a lot of time. drive 3 stakes in the ground where your feeding in the shape of an A stretch some chicken wire in shape of a V and put your feed along fence. They will bump along wire feeding and sometimes lose a horn. its hard up here to look for horns till spring the snow is 20-30 inches.One friend of mine uses a dog and he seems to find horns better than we do. Now if he can just drag one of those 60-80 inchers home!!
If you get any pics I'd like to see.

woodseye

Top Bottom