Ants

dac

Reaction score
Just registerd so want to say hey to everyone. My question is has anyone had a proplem with ants getting into there game camera?I have a non typical game camera went to check it after two weeks and ants had made them a nice home they were even inside the actual camera.Thanks

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi dac - welcome to the forum!
Ants are a problem for any cam that has weak seals.  I thought the Non-Typicals were fairly well made - check your seals for breaks / tears.

Archilochus

woodsman

Reaction score
Welcome to the site dac
I hope the damage was minimal.

gizz

Reaction score
I've been lucky as far as ants go but like Arch said, Check your seals cause they're gettin in there somehow and you should be able to seal it off.
I've always been worried about a pocupine knawing on my cams but i've been lucky on that topic as well. They can make short work of aluminum treestands and seats.
BTW, welcome to the forum!

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 :rofl wolverine,Fire ants and then i see your Avatar dancing around!!

shufigo

Reaction score
Hey dac, welcome aboard. Talk about a timely post!! I've got a non-typ out also, and had exactly the same problem yesterday. I don't use the security cable or that pain in the butt thumbscrew, but instead keep the lid down with a squeeze clamp. That leaves about four holes for the little buggers to get in. They'd nested in the lower unit, outside the camera proper, but were also in the circuit board area -- just hadn't started laying eggs. I just washed them out of the lower unit with my water bottle and patiently picked them out of the upper unit after  pulling the batteries and camera. Took about 10 min. I thought about blocking the holes with a wad of GOOP, but you still would have the opening in the case where the cycle switch goes through. In any case, it's the first infestation I've had in 2 yrs, probably cause the cam was set on a tripod in a cornfield.

WoodPetter

Reaction score
I put some double sided sticky tape inside my case
and sprinkled some ant dust ( for garden use )
on it, just in case I missed a hole somewhere

shufigo

Reaction score
Ant dust -- now there's one I hadn't thought of. Thanks!!

WoodPetter

Reaction score
That took care of the Ants, now how do I get rid if the Owl nesting in it ?? :smile-blue

shufigo

Reaction score
You don't get rid of it. Just feed it a steady diet of ASA 400 and clean up the back opening on a regular basis. Owls are good!!

Top Bottom