Any california trappers out there???

robbor

Reaction score
Id love to have the experience of trapping and am wondering if there are any trappers out there in Ca, that would let me tag along or be an agent for a week or weekend? Send reply to go_rob_go@yahoo.com

hntnnut

Reaction score
There probably are but from what I understand trapping is now illigal in Kalifornia.

Richard

robbor

Reaction score
I heard it was still legal in the form of box traps only. The problem is ther are no trappers here, doh!
Maybe net year Ill start making some traps and spring for the lic. I can trap about an hour from where I live and get cats in the snow. I just dont want to spend the money for 2-4 cats if I cant get up there much.

camo snob

Reaction score
We use to trap them to help quail #'s. They are easy, we use the traps pictured below. Bait them with chicken or bait of your choice and check them every morning. WE had a lot of traps, and you will soon realize YOU will want a lot of traps. You'll get a lot of coons, yote and BS until you get the hang of it but after you remove most the stupid critters your luck will change. We usually set them up just off an old road through the farm so you can "drive by check" them. When you get a cat WATCH OUT, he will be extremely pissed!!!

Our traps were similar to these, make sure to peg them down before you set them.

robbor

Reaction score
I had been visiting a trapping forum a while back and ther was a guy that had real good luck trapping bobcats using a piece of rabbit fur in the back of the trap with 2 eyes, and a electronic squeeker also.

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
You can legally trap in California still. In order to get a license, you need to take the DFG test. It is pretty simple, if you study their "Get Set to Trap" book. The only issue I have with it is that the test covers things that are no longer legal in California. Oh well.

You can use cage traps, just be very careful with the regulations on what types of bait you can use. I believe I know the guy(s) you are talking about who trap with cages. Stacy Yancy and his partner do (did?) alot of it here in California, with pretty good success. Do a google search on "Stacy Yancy" (leave quotes when searching) and you will see some info on his work.

There is alot to trapping that goes beyond just getting the animal in the trap. The fur prep afterwards is extremely important to get top dollar when you go to sell. Also, don't discount the other items such as skulls and claws that you can sell as well. Also, there are certain stamping laws when it comes to trapped bobcat, make sure you are aware of everything before you set-out.

I'm not sure if the California Trapper's Association is still around, but they were a good bunch of dedicated men and women.

Eric A. Mayer

Bent_Barrel

Reaction score
Im in Pasadena and would trap, I just hadnt got around to it. Theres a lot of work skinning and drying etc and then sellingthem to a furbuyer. Its fun but the box traps are easier to get stolen than the footholds.

coup

Reaction score
search for trapping video's.....my dauhter here in wv checks traps for her husband she caught a fox and yote this morning...he wants her to choke them with the catcher thing to save from getting blood on the hide but she shot both of thesew ith 22 pistol..........

fishnhunt

Reaction score
In CA you can trap without a trappers license as long as you do not sell the fur...But you must have a hunting license (I called the DFG and asked). Go buy the bobcat tags, traps, and check the seasons and go wild.

Hanos

Reaction score
I have a box trap and mainly used to to get wild/domestic cats out of my yard. One day I found the trap on its side and the door was opened, This has a latch to lock the door close and is spring loaded to close. I don't know how this thing got out but glad it did. I would hate to have to release it. How do you safely (or as safe as possible) release a pissed animal.

MAYOMIE

Reaction score
COVER THE TRAP,WITH A TOWEL OR SOMETHING, EXCEPT FOR THE DOOR, POINT AWAY FROM FACE/BODY AND OPEN . 9 OUT OF 10 TIMES THE ANIMAL WILL RUN OFF.

Sporty

Reaction score
Um...... what happens the 1 out 10 times it doesn't?

boarrunner

Reaction score
To market your hides you will need a trappers license, you do have to take your bobcats in to dfg and get them stamped, and your traps have to have a ID tag with your name address and phone #, and trap #. all of that info will be learned in the book/test previously mentioned. or found in the regs.
the going price of bobcat hides more than covers the cost of the license with one mediocre cat.

Sporty, the 1 time it doesn't run away, well you may wish you didn't try to do that critter a favor!!
also a good reason to have a good dog with you when you check your traps, I have seen various critters some how escape as you approach, even with the acordion doors with a latch. watching the best bob you have ever seen run off as you approach can be a bit discouraging, you can bet he won't ever go in a box trap again. not to mention that a animal that is distressed trying to escape a trap will often cause other pedators to investigate a good dog may prove to be priceless to a trapper.

dlvmark

Reaction score
Dogs can be used to help locate trapped animals that are on a drag. At times the animals can not be found with out a dog.

dlvmark

Reaction score
I called the CDFG and talked to Bill Caputo @ 916.928.5852. Bill said it does not matter if you want to sell the pelts or not. You need a trappers licence if you want to trap. Do not trap without one! I left his contact info so you can contact him to confirm what I wrote. Be safe.
Mark

Top Bottom