Any fans of the "Slam Man"

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Jay Moore sat in for Rome today. He was killin me with his Madonna and A-Rod and the NPR guy. Any fans of the "Slam Man" here?

foulshot

Reaction score
Being a long time Rome fan(going back to when he would have the show after the San Diego Sockers post game), it's usually a bore when Romey takes a day of.

But there are a few substitute teachers that I can handle. Jay is one of the few.

A few others being Lampley, Fienstien(not bad for a golf guy) and surprisingly the Sklar brothers....

I'll have to get the podcast.

SCREWLOOSE

Banned
Reaction score
Funny how Slam Man fills in for Rome today and he's got a new T.V. show starting up... I think Jay is great but I could do without the Sklar bros.

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tominator @ Jul 8 2008, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Slam Man is cool. Lampley, however, sucks.[/b]
I like the fact that Lamps will argue with the MMA guys about which is better, boxing vs. MMA.

Going way back, I really used to like it when "Roebuck" would sit in. Anyone remember him???
Or when the "BullDog" was the producer???
El Cazador, you can't aswer these!

We could start a Rome Trivia contest.......

Buck-eye

Reaction score
"Im Joey Butt-a-fucco, ova here!"

Jay is cool. Cannot stand Rome though. Nothing worse than the old guy with no athletic talent trying to be hip. That's just me though..

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Buck-eye @ Jul 9 2008, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jay is cool. Cannot stand Rome though. Nothing worse than the old guy with no athletic talent trying to be hip. That's just me though..[/b]
Isn't that kind of an oxymoron??

I will admit though, Rome is one of those guys you either love or hate. No one, IMHO, gets better interviews though.

pennywise67

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ Jul 9 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Buck-eye @ Jul 9 2008, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jay is cool. Cannot stand Rome though. Nothing worse than the old guy with no athletic talent trying to be hip. That's just me though..[/b]
Isn't that kind of an oxymoron??

I will admit though, Rome is one of those guys you either love or hate. No one, IMHO, gets better interviews though.
[/b][/quote]

The classic is when Rome kept calling Jim Everrett , Chris. Rome really wasnt laughing when Everrett came across the table for him
Pretty much shows you his intelligence. Everrett may not be able to take a 100 hits in the NFL, but he could beat the snot out of Rome. So who really was the girl???

huntnfool13

Reaction score
Jay is pretty good. I only listen to Rome every now and then. I used to listen to him when he first got started only because he was on with the "Butt Brothers" before Rush was on on the mighty six ninety in San Diego. Many years ago. I still listen to his year end show which is pretty good and funny. The closest thing to a Jim Healy show. Jim Healy was AWESOME!
I'm not that old, but I had to listen to Jim H. because my dad did and he was the best. Rome is the guy who plays the tough guy behind the mike, but has never played a contact sport in his entire life. That's pretty much par for the course for allot of these guys. The loose cannons with the late Chet Forte was the best show I thought. Lamply's ok if you like boxing talk for a couple hours. I still enjoy Hacksaw too. Did anybody else listen to Healy's rants on KLAC?

Tominator

Reaction score
So lemme get this straight, if you give a mic to a hall of famer the show is automatically good? No. I don't really give a crap whether or not he ever played any contact sports the show itself is the ONLY thing sports talk related that's worth a damn. I listen more for the sarcasm and wit anyway... well that and getting to hear Mark Grace talk about slump busting. That having been said, I must agree that his interviews are the best

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tominator @ Jul 10 2008, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I listen more for the sarcasm and wit anyway... well that and getting to hear Mark Grace talk about slump busting. That having been said, I must agree that his interviews are the best[/b]
That interview with Gracie was one of the best!! That and Elk talking about "I saw cat mate".....

huntnfool, I never heard Healy, he must have been pretty good. The cannons were ok, but Hartman tended to wear on me. One of the best shows the Cannons had was the day Chet walked out on Hartman, finally real radio.

The ol' butterknife is pretty good too. He's back on the air in SD. Biggest mistake was the combining san diego and la markets...

Show me your Ligntening Bolts!!

huntnfool13

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tominator @ Jul 10 2008, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So lemme get this straight, if you give a mic to a hall of famer the show is automatically good? No. I don't really give a crap whether or not he ever played any contact sports the show itself is the ONLY thing sports talk related that's worth a damn. I listen more for the sarcasm and wit anyway... well that and getting to hear Mark Grace talk about slump busting. That having been said, I must agree that his interviews are the best[/b]
I will agree with you tominater that Rome does do some of the best interviews. His sarcasm is good but it's just too overboard for me. And of late, his stupid rap music grinds of other callers dishing on other callers is just plain annoying. I guess it's like anybody you listen to long enough, pretty soon you just lose interest in them.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Clarence in Sierra Madre is my hero on Rome. Rome can get boring when he gets hung up on a sound clip and plays them ad naseum. He also has the most dead air I've ever heard in the business, something GMs cringe over. I've reached for my volume knbo so many times only to have the audio blast out a few seconds later. He does have some of the best interviews.

What happened when Chet walked out on Hartman?

foulshot

Reaction score
Hartman went on some rant, can't remember what about. Chet had a different opinion, and if I remember right Hartman called him something like a stupid old man(if anyone remembers this please correct me). Chet did come back before the show was over and Hartman apologized.

Jiiiiiiiiiiiiim, thanks for the viiiiiiiiine and thanks for the tiiiiiiiime!

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
when Rome busts into his Saw routine and lose it evertime. From Baja to the Canadian Rockies, who wants to talk sports with me?

Rome gets some of the greatest guest, but Dan Patrick is right up there with him.

Harmtan rules the trivia, nobody better than him!

Tominator

Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky. Although I used to listen religiously I now only get to hear him on occasion since I'm rarely around a radio when he's on. That way everything I hear is fresh. My favorite line?

Rome-"So, why'd you do it if you there was a strong possibility that you might die?"

Evil Knievel-"Dammit Son! Don't you know who I am!!!"

That'll NEVER get old

pschultheis

Reaction score
I was in the Jungle for years, I am a Herd guy now. What I like about both guys is that they are intelegent first and sports guys second. Not alot of screaming and yelling about my team is better then your team. Thats what sucks about local guys.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Nearly kilt myself cuz of Knievel. Built a ramp and sailed over it on my new bike. Bout died in the crash. Bout died again back home when mom saw the new bike she just bought me.

Tominator

Reaction score
I know the feeling. Our house had a concrete porch off the back between the first and second floors and you could park two cars under it. Add to this the fact that the driveway was VERY downhill and had a nice 70 degree turn right before the porch and and you had a scenario that a young Evel wannabe just couldn't resist. I built a fine ramp on the concrete at the end of the drive under the porch and mounted up at the top of the driveway. I shoved off, peddled like there was no tomorrow and rocketed down the driveway. 3/4's of the way down I successfully navigated the turn, leveled off, hit the ramp, sprang up off the end of the ramp and promptly split my head open on the underside of the porch..... Momma was NOT impressed with my skills...

Top Bottom