Any Feedback about the new regs?

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Since I am new to the state, and really new to whitetail deer hunting, I really am not sure if it is a good thing or not. Would like some feedback from some of you longtime dwellers here. And if I read right, it looks like if a guy were to play his cards right, he could take 13 deer in a season, allowing for archerey, firearms, antlerless, special mngmnt hunts, and the bonus tags. I seriously doubt if I could manage to fill that many tags, nor would I want to. How many deer do you plan on taking this year?

StringShooter

Reaction score
With my bow, I will try for a freezer deer first. I'm hoping that deer will be a nice doe. The remainder of the archery season will be spent on a mountable buck. Got shut out last year on the buck end :mad-red::crygreen:

During the regular firearm season, I will use my muzzle loader and will attempt to shoot a buck or doe. That deer is processed and will be given to my brother in law who lives in Chicago. During the bonus season and the muzzle loading season in December, I will take one more doe for my personal use.

This is the plan which is all subject to the deer cooperating :what-do-u-think:

This is the one from 2 seasons ago that I have to beat. Wish me luck...I can't wait till season opens!

(Edited by StringShooter at 9:10 pm on July 30, 2002)

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Stringshooter....that sounds like a good way to work it, and by the way that is a great buck! I was kind of thinking the same way on how to work the permits. But it is all only in thought right now. I went out yesterday early evening and drove around the crop fields on the dirt rds that surround them and the wooded area. I seen 5 deer in the bean field, one was a huge buck....could'nt tell how many points though, cuz they broke and ran as I drove by and they were at least 250-300yds out. Then I seen 3 more, don't know what they were on the mowed wheat field, they too ran imediately as I drove the rd. Wonder why they are so scetchy???? Are whitetail always acting like this? Sure gets the blood pumping seeing so many in such a localized area.  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
H & W,

Depending on where you are, (some areas worse than others) a lot of deer get shot at from a vehicle so they get out of Dodge real fast when a vehicle drives by, especially if it slows down or stops!  When they run like that at 2 or 300 yards, I bet somebody took a pot-shot at them recently

But on the other had, WhiteTails are real spooky anyway, you are not going to believe how sharp they are and think they have ESP when you're after them with a gun or bow!

But if (when) you think Whitetails are hard to hunt, wait till you try Gobblers in the Spring (if you havent already)

Every Deer thinks a hunter is a tree but every gobbler thinks a tree is a hunter

All Deer are trophys but I've take enough "Lessor Deer" (bucks) with my gun and bow and am now holding off for bucks 8 pts or better which means I don't get a deer at all most seasons   :(    Last year they considered throwing in a 3rd archery tag that was Doe only,  man I wish they would have done that, been great for me.  The last 2 years I told myself I'd take the 1st doe that walked by bow season but ended up watching every one walk.  Naturally, at the end of the season I could have kicked myself.....

StringShooter

I didn't realize you only hunted with a ML (or I forgot)  what do you use, Inline or Tradional?   I only hunt with a ML too, tradional, sometimes with a flint but mostly percussion.

Tinhorn

StringShooter

Reaction score
Tinhorn,
This will be my first year with a muzzle loader.

My dad bought me a Winchester model 94, 30-30 when I was 12 years old, from a now out of business hardware store in St. Louis named, "Central Hardware". I have been using that gun for the past 28 years. Lot's of deer with that gun!

Santa bought me a TC Black Diamond last Christmas and I shot it for the first time last weekend. Beleive it or not, at 75 yards, I was within 2 inches of the bulllseye without making any adjustments of the sights. I think the muzzle loaders are really neat to say the least.

So, this will be my first year and I plan on only using only the muzzle loader. I will put the 30-30 away for memories.

Now, the deer above was a bow kill. I still will be out in force when bowseason gets into the end of October and November.

(Edited by StringShooter at 5:01 pm on July 31, 2002)

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Tinhorn, very well could be that the farmers are taking potshots at the deer. They hate them around here, have said "kill them all", I looked at an area where there was just one doe feeding the nite before, and there was a huge bald spot in the beans. At first I didn't think the deer could cause much havoc to so many acres of crop. But after I seen where just one doe was feeding, I can understand. But I suppose the best part of it is that the meat will be really tasty:eat-burger:  (1)  How do you guys think the change in the regs for this year compare to years past?  (2) Are your opinions that it is best for the management of the herds.(3) will it hurt the herds. (4) or no change? I myself don't know, I have heard that there are an awful lot of deer in the state compared to maybe 10 years ago.

(Edited by Hideandwatch at 8:18 am on Aug. 1, 2002)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi H & W

There are tons more deer now than in years past alright.  Back in the '60s hunter succes was ~15%, I hunted with 9 guys and we'd "Sometimes" get 2 deer in a season.  This was on farm ground along the Missouri River, now the hunter success is Much Much Much improved and is what, 50% now-a-days. (those were the days when I was the only Bow hunter I knew about too)

I think the reg changes will probably cause another record this year but I'm about used to that now.  Seems like the record is broken about every year now ( and the worse I do, the bigger the record  :>)        but I'm not worried about hurting the deer herd.  Deer are everywhere

I noticed you mentioned a guy could take 13 deer this year if he was really good.  The figure is actually 10 deer, there is a place in the reg's somewhere that explains it and also tells how many hunters took the max.  Seems like it said 5 limited out last year with the 10,  I think I remember that the year before, only 1 guy got all 10.  The same place tells what the % of people are who took no deer, 1 deer, 2 deer, etc....  I think it said the biggest per centage of hunters took NO DEER (including me)

Like I said above, I wish they would have given us the 3rd Bow Tag that had to be a Doe,  altho I don't think of myself as a Trophy Hunter, in the past few years, I've held off on taking just any deer and am waiting for an 8 prt or better with both my bow and ML.  All these (lessor) deer allow me to keep my spirits up as I wait on the one I'm hoping for, it does a lot for my moral when I see several deer nearly everytime I bow hunt.

See Ya!

Tinhorn

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Tinhorn...after your recent post, I wondered where the heck I had gotten the 13 total figure. I found it on the same page where you retreived the percentages. It is in the same little orange colored box titled "How Many Deer?", It says ("and this does not include the maximum of three that could be taken at some management hunts".) So now you and I know how I arrived at that figure. I am planning on taking a freezer deer, a doe and then try for a buck of 8 point or greater, unless of course the buck offers me the shot prior to a doe. I have applied for the management hunt over at Burr oak CA. Guess I will have the results of that one online after 8-15-02. Hoping to get a hen turkey this fall too.  :target:

Tinhorn

Reaction score
H & W,

Thanx for the info, I overlooked that about the other 3.....

It won't be long and we can start on the 13 deer count down  he he

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom