any help

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
my friend leases a ranch in patterson right close to the old dialbo grande hunting club. anyone know of any tips to try to bag a pig around there? where should i b looking(not askin for like spots i mean like areas, trees mud wallows, water)?? haven't hunted to many hogs so im tryin to get the feel? any help is appreciated!

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
where should i be looking as in? ponds? mudholes? and certain times of day that certain areas are better to watch than others???

hntboar

Reaction score
Hi dkhuntr25-
This is not that easy to anwser without really seeing the property, but here ya go.
Most hogs when presured will feed in the evenings and bed down in the day. Your best bet is
to look for sign. Trails and tracks are your best. Rootings and feeding areas as well.
I always check ponds for tracks and whallows. Many times you can check the trees close to the
pond and see if there are any tree rubbings. They like to go from the pond to a tree to
scratch and clean up the mud. Get out early in the am and work it till late in the evening.

I like to try to find places where they might bed down for the day. They do not really like the sun
and love cool areas. If you find a bedding area that looks good, check tracks around the area
to see if any tracks are going in and then look for tracks going out. If you only find tracks going
in then there is a good chance they would be bedded down in there.

If you decide you want to go after them in the brush ( i do not recomend for a first timer) wait till after 2 ish so that gives them time to bed and rest. Much easier to catch up to them when they are sleepy. Use a short rifle or pistol (44 mag or bigger) when entering the brush. The shots will be fast and very close. You want to be able to move around when you see them to get a shot off.

I would start of with checking out the whole property to see if you can get a lay of the land and look
for the things I mentioned.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Hntboar

Top Bottom