Any Ideas?

Gator

Reaction score
I used the Lamson/Ge pir and the Cannon af set up on my deer cam. It bench tests great, but when l put it in the field it will take several pics and then it is like the relay won't release in the pir. I can unplug my camera from the pir and I can take a pic with the camera and I can plug it back in and everything is fine. I don't have to turn my camera off or anything it is not going to sleep. It is like the relay in the pir still had the camera activated, but when I unplug the camera the pir releases and resets. Anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing it?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I, for one, don't have any idea's Gator.  That's a weird one tho.

When you say  it takes several pix's before the problem occurs, do you mean it snaps them off, one after another then won't release the relay? or it gets several pix's of animals then you come back and find the problem......

Just curious

Tinhorn

gizz

Reaction score
I second Tinhorn's replay and answer. Need a little more explanation. Did you modify the PIR? Add a timer circuit?

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Gator,

sounds if you may be running the pir off of the light socket chipset, if so this is probably your problem as it is very erratic with results.

the small chipset from the lightsocket is just a dc controller switch that when it senses a signal from the pir by recieving a small pulse of the ground from the circuit board, it then locks and holds the ground circuit for the specified 1 minute timeout.

if you have changed any resistors then this timeout may be shorter or longer (depending on whether you went higher or lower with the resistor values) but is very erratic by not being able to get it to do the same thing twice.

i have found it best to just build a timer circuit to use with the Lamson units and have had very good results with them.

without your specifics of how you got it wired it is hard to guess what is going on, maybe a cold solder joint is the culprit.

keep us posted as to how it turns out.

Later,

Possum

Reaction score
The cold solder joint messed with me for a while, too.  very erratic results.  If the camera will snap more than one pic then the PIR is probably releasing.  I used a connector from Radio Shack between the PIR and the Camera.  If it is one milli-hair out of place the camera will take one pic and no more.  However, you say the camera is not locking up.  I am betting Gun Docc has the diagnosis.

abedford

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with the Lamson PIR in a unit I built.  As funny as it sounds, this problem only happened in the cold.  When I say "cold", I mean anything below 50 degrees F or so.  The unit would work great, consistently, in my house for days on end.  As soon as I hung it in the woods, the unit would work great at first and then stop after about 20 minutes in the "cold".  I could change NOTHING, bring it inside, and it would start to work fine again.  I was using the Lamson PIR with no timer circuit - just using the chipset in the light socket.

My solution?  Went to Radio Shack and bought their PIR.  Works great now.  The Lamson is sitting on the shelf for a rainy day project.

Gator

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to respond. I have been working long hours lately. I hooked up the Lamson Pir straight out of the box. And it works fine when bench tested and it will take several pics in the woods just fine. But then for some reason it will stop on a pic, and I can try to manually press the button on the camera and it won't work, but then I can disconnest the camera from the pir without turning the camera off or on and then press the button and it will take a pic,plugg it back in to the pir and it will work perfect again. It is like it takes a pic and doesn't release. I hope this clears it up a little. Thanx for the replies.

Possum

Reaction score
Mine did that.  Somewhere, probably around the connection between the PIR and the Camera (where you have the male and female connector) something is touching where it is not supposed to.  I had two problems in this area.  A cheap RS connector and a cold solder joint.  The cheap connector could not be plugged in as for as the male end would go.  I had to stop it really close to end to make it work.  Since your camera will take a few pics and then stop I am guessing the solder joint.  Unsolder EVERY connection where the wires connect on these plugs and redo them.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom