Any info on 17 Aguila velocity in shorter barrel?

22_boomer

Reaction score
I built a 22" test barrel for the .17 Aguila to verify the operation and then built the final configuration 17.5" barrel for my AR rifle. I was just wondering how much velocity I may have lost if any. The actual barrel is 16" but I ran the barrel liner all the way to the muzzle of the fake flash hider. I'm using a Ciener 22 conversion unit and I modified the chamber adapter by installing a .17 cal. barrel liner from Brownell's and the whole device can be slid in and out of the barrel as one piece. I did this because I originally did the same thing in 22lr and it worked great and I just couldn't refuse trying it in the Aguila round.

Attachments

AMMOe

Reaction score
You ought to be getting in the neighborhood of 1775 ft/sec from your semi auto. Depends on the gun. Shorty Ruger 10/22's deliver about 1730 so I'm guessing, really. Nice looking gun! Field report whern you can. eh? ~AMMOe

22_boomer

Reaction score
I was planning on buying a couple of bricks of the 17 Aguila ammo at the gun show this weekend but due to hurricane "Charley" cutting through Florida, not many dealers could show up -- I hope they made out OK at home.

I've run out of ammo but I did get a line on a dealer that can ship some to me.

AMMOe

Reaction score
22 Boomer: A question on your Ciener conversion... Did you drill out the ( an extra?) barrel to accomodate that long liner?~AMMOe

22_boomer

Reaction score
AMMOe,
The barrel I'm using right now is a GI barrel that I had drilled out -- I don't have the equipment to drill out chrome lined 4150 steel GI barrels so I had it done by a Gunsmith. I tried to cut the barrel liner flex to a minimum by cutting a groove just inside the fake brake muzzle and installing an "O" ring for a very tight fit. The chamber end of the barrel liner fits solid in the barrel extension at the rear of the GI barrel. The only point of movement would be inside the GI barrel but that is a fairly tight fit also. I don't want to make the setup permanent because I also have a 22lr setup that I can use. I doubt I will get the accuracy that you guys get but I wanted a good explosive "RAT Shooter" that also shot pretty flat. this particular rifle is used for other projects such as my 22 magnum upper. My only problem with the magnum is the magazine -- I use a Marlin 7 shot magazine but I don't have the hight just right yet and can only load and fire 4 rounds. the magnum upper is a permanent upper since the magnum round has so much power that I figured I best have it all supported and locked in place. The magnum upper is a twin to the Aguila upper only I didn't use the Ciener conversion, I used a stronger M261 US GI 22 conversion that I modified the heck out of.

Boomer

Latest Posts

Top Bottom