Any Lost Camera's yet

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Just curious how many has had a cam stolen by the "Enemy" and any close calls.

I know of 3:

1.  Supposedly a buck got tangled in one and ran off with it ? ? ?

2.  I had one close call, a State Ranger found one of mine
   on conservation property and left it alone,
   also, one time couldn't find one for 30 mins and was beginning to  wonder

3.  Spectr17 had at least one with a quail hunter.  

I guess these were honest people (sort of, Spectr17's was a tresspasser) so maybe close call is not the proper term for ours  

any others?

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 3:42 pm on May 4, 2001)

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
Tinhorn,
  This has been one of my greatest fears ever since I became a "cammie". I have had a few close calls with timber cruisers and trespassers. I got 2 pics of pickup trucks while setup in a roadway and a foodplot. They were Weyerhauser cruisers (small badge on the sideglass of the truck). My closest call was a poacher/trespasser that came by my camera.... but for some reason the trail cam PIR didn't pick him up so the cam didn't flash in his face (I saw his tracks in the dirt about 4 ft. from the cam.). In a way I would have liked to have gotten his pic but with my homebrew cam set on flash all the time he would surely have spotted the cam.
  Interesting post......who was that guy that lost his cam to the deer?.....boy, if he could find it now he would have some interesting pics.    

bradleydale

Reaction score
I had a commercial model stole 3 weeks ago. I think it must have been an early season turkey hunter/tresspasser. My mistake was setting it up on a road into the property and not turning off the flash. I'm new to this site but plan on building some homebrew cams to saturate the area with. If I can ever get one of these guys on film I will let the sherriff go pick them up from there!!

Great info guys!

gizz

Reaction score
Not sure if this counts but I've lost 4 to family members

Curtiss

Reaction score
Had one of my sony can cams stolen on the 27th of April. The young man walked by another that I had built with infrared, and he's caught walking out with the other in his hand. After trial, I will let you all see it on a short clip, if the attorney says that it won't be a problem. The lawyer is using it for the pros. I had the one with IR, to keep track at the road who was trespassing. Maybe this will help get the word out that the cam is WATCHING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The young man was 19 and he was recordered at 1:42 and 9 seconds.(A.M.)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Curtiss:       "HOT DOG" ! ! ! ! !

With any luck, we can start a thread on who got the most FINE levied against the "Enemy"

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Secret Agent #23 checking in. I've been lucky, just a few pics of hunters/trespassers who never knew the cam was there. The quail hunter from last fall is the first to notice one of my cams and I knew it was a insecure spot to leave it. We were after a big buck and were getting desperate.

I sometimes leave 2 cameras, one to overwatch the main camera just in case.

Good job on the Barney Fife work Curtiss. I just love Candid Camera videos.

Nino

Reaction score
How hard would it be to hook up just a PIR and a flash?  My thinking is to make some decoy cams to scare tresspassers.  Put one of these in a tree and when someone walks by it flashes and they know they are being watched.  Do any the photographers out there know of an inexpensive flash unit that might work?  Just a thought.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi  all,
Hey Curtiss, Let us in on your video cam designs!  That's great, catching the jerk like that!

Nino.... Probably the cheapest low power consumption flash unit is... a point and shoot camera!

gizz.... If 'family' counts as lost, I've lost all 9 of my cams!  At the moment all my cams are 'lent out'.

spectr17....  I was talking with a guy that works for a forest products company.  They had a problem with someone stealing equipment at a job site.  They put up a trail-cam....and you got it... The jerk took that too!

Archilochus

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
The California DFG has been monitoring coyote and cougar travel under highway bridges the past years or two. Well, they were TRYING to monitor it with game cameras. Seems someone was stealing the cams as fast as they could put them out. DFG then put the cams in heavy steel enclosures bolted to the bridges. It'd take a stick of dynamite now to get them loose. Rumor was the hobos living under the bridges were stealing them for beer money

bradleydale

Reaction score
Spectr,
That sounds kind of like what I had in mind after loosing a camera recently. What I would like to do is drive heavy oil or water well casing pipe about 6 feet in the ground with a tractor mounted driver and leave about 4 feet above the ground. Then weld a 3/8" thick steel box on top of this pipe with bullet proof glass for the camera and flash to shoot through. Set this up right beside the trail and let it take the slugs picture while they stand there and beat on it or whatever.....yes, I'm bitter guys!!

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Just an addition to this close call thing.  I left my camera this past week over looking a logging road creek crossing.  A funnel if you will.  There has been no human traffic on this road in months.  When I came back I saw where the Foresters had been in there with heavy equipment.  I had one deer picture and twelve pictures of huge tires mounted in big yellow wheels.  I did actually get one picture with the driver in it.  I do not believe they even noticed the camera or its flashing.  If they did, they probably drove by several times on purpose.  Anyway, other than the one deer picture that is a little blurry, the whole role was spent on heavy equipment tires.  That is the last time I set one up on a logging road.  JB

Latest Posts

Top Bottom