• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Any recommendations for a scope.

Ricky Ortiz

I'm picking up a savage 110 30-06 on the 18th I'm gonna need to get a scope and this is my first rifle and I don't know a whole lot about optics. My plan is to go for deer and pig with it. Any suggestions for a newb would be great in a modest price range..

hks95134

Banned
Leupolds scopes are the best, because they have eliminated parallax, so your face on the rifle butt does not need to be exactly right on all the time.

Other than this, I recommend a mil dot reticle. This allows you to lead your target a little, if there is wind, or if it is moving.

Most cross-hair reticles are designed for a stationary target and no wind.

nmbrinkman

Can't go wrong with leupold. I like the Nikon Monarchs as well. I own both. Vortex is a great company too with great glass at a relatively affordable price. I bought Vortex Diamondback binos a month ago and have used them around the house (that sounds bad I know) and in the field. No complaints. Vortex warranty is pretty awesome too. Unconditional Lifetime warranty. Optics Planet (opticsplanet.com) seems to have some of the best prices I've seen. I just got a coupon code in my email for 10% off orders of $100 or more. Most products come with free shipping too.

Last edited:

freezer

Leupold VXII 3x9. You have a good rifle and a versitile cartridge. Now top it off with good versitile scope. The VXII is guaranted for life. My I suggest spending a little more on your rig? Before you do anything to it, take it to a gunsmith and let him mount the scope and tune the rifle. Little things mean a lot. How the action fits the stock, is the barrel free floating and is the trigger set properly? All these tings can make a good rifle a great rifle. What is your LOP and what is the rifle set at? Getting the scope mounted correctly can make a big difference in performance and comfort. The rifle has t to you. Make this factory rifle fit you, you'll fall in love with it and own it the rest of your life. You will never regret quaility and a job done right the first time.

Ricky Ortiz

So I was finally able to pick up a Leupold VX II 3-9x40 this last weekend. Anyone in the stockton area can recommend where I can have it properly installed? Or if anyone in stockton this weekend can show me how to. I just don't have the proper tools, and have never done it before and as previously posted by Freezer I would like it installed correctly. I'm also in the rohnert park area Mon-fri for work if anyone knows a place or is willing to help out.

Cant-hit-em

Outdoors sportsmen on west lane between hammer and march done a good job on a scope install for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quaildeath

Since you said most bang for your buck, I recommend a Nikon Pro Staff. Very very good crisp clear optic for the price.
But the word on the street is buy the best optic you can afford. You would be happy with something from the Pro Staff line.
I have owned one as well as a few friends. Very happy with them.

Also like others have said Vortex is the new up and comer with optics. I hear only good stuff on them. Leupold is very good and very expensive. BTW, Turners fall catalog just came out and I saw a lot of good deals in there.

freezer

Good choice and wise decision. Too many folks think there's nothing to mounting a scope and they are wrong. You'll never regret doing it right the first time.

After it's mounted and bore sighted you'll need to finish sighting it in. Bore sighting will get you on the paper, that's all. I would prefer the 50 yard range but the 100 will do. Do not bring the scope to it's high powers It won't help, you'll just jiggle more. Stay at 3-5x

First set up well on the bench. Most ranges will lend/rent shooting bags. Use them.
Set your gun in the bags and adjust it so it is on the bullseye. Take the shot.
Now reset the rifle so the cross hairs are on the bullseye again.
Remove the scope caps and adjust the scope (Not the rifle) so the cross hairs are on the point of impact (where the bullet hit).
Load another round and adjust the rifle so it's back on the bullseye again. Take the shot. This should put you in the black.
repeat this untill your rifle is close to zero and grouping well.

I wouldn't shoot more than 5 rounds in one period as the barrel will begin to warm up. This is a hunting rifle. Hunting rifles have thin barrels, heat up quickly and the point of impact (POI) can change.

Last edited:

TyB3417

Nikon 4-12x40.... ive seen people spend up to 1000$ on a scope and they shoot ok.... but with the bullet drop technology you will feel much more comfertable shooting beyond 100yards... its honestly a solid scope and I shoot extremely tight groups even at 200 yards.... and for 200$... its the way to go.

Top Bottom