• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

any Sat Phone around?

mrdq

I'm going to be doing a lot of solo hunting and fishing in the next year and my wife sort of insists that I have a sat phone to check in every night. Does anyone have ANY experience with these things? Google has 108,000,000 hits when you google sat phones
I rented one a few years ago for a Wyoming hunt and the price has come WAY down but i'm looking for some references from users.

PaPaBob

Another idea that may satisfy her is the Spot satellite notification system. For a reasonable initial cost for a hand held unit and a small monthly charge you can put it in your pack and send email notifications as to your location and status. An email arrives with a Google map with coordinates on it let her know you are okay and exactly where you are. It can be programmed to send out a message periodically that says I am okay and there is a HELP button that sends out message that indicates you need help right now and where you are located. You pre-program the system for your unit on the internet with a messages and what you want it to say.

Here's a link to their site: http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Sure will take the worry out of her mind.

Last edited:

evlaz

I tried the Spot and sent it back. It just never registered any updates on email.

I'd be curious if anyone else has had trouble with the Spot. I rented a SAT phone several years ago. It was great to have just call the office and home once a day.

fishnhunt

my personal spot works great! I've never had a problem with it! Infact we run 6 at work on a daily basis and have never had an issue!

Top Bottom