Any Upper Cotton Wood archery action?

bigolbuck

Reaction score
I am going down to Upper Cotton Wood Creek Wildlife Area on The opener of the A zone (Special draw only) rifle. I just wanted to know if there were any lucky people that shot any deer or pigs. Don't need any details just want to know what ya got. Good Luck to All!!!

Reaction score
I have hunted in there.

No luck this year.

But I feel I do need to warn you.

35 permited hunters a day on 4000 acres..........wear your orange. period.

THere will be bucks killed this weekend just make sure nobody thinks your a buck.

Most of the action is within an hour of daylight and sundown so no need to hang out all day if you dont want to.

FT

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Family Tradition @ Aug 6 2006, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
35 permited hunters a day on 4000 acres[/b]
Several years ago I went on opening day, and I was the only hunter I talked to that had a permit for opening day! Expect more than 34 other hunters.

Reaction score
Wow

I was under the impression if you got caught without a permit you were busted.

I think I'll still wait until after the opener to go in there.

MS

bigolbuck

Reaction score
I was drawn 2 years ago and was confronted by a game warden at the parking lot. apparently there were some people using hand radios illegally. I hope all the people without permits get busted.

bigolbuck

Reaction score
Oh yeah... You bet your... I'll be wearing blaze orange. Foolish not to. I saw only a couple of people where I went to the last time I went out at upper Cottonwood. Most people don't go back as far as I do. I have seen a few deer here and there and pigs quite often. so hopefully things go well for me and my buddy out there.

Publiclandhunter

Reaction score
I'll be out there on the opener, too. Saw plenty of legal bucks and a couple of boar during the A-Zone Archery season, just couldn't get close enough to close the deal. FT is right about most of the game being taken within the first hour or two after dawn. The past coupla years, the wardens have been out there verifying permits and all...checking in the field on quads and in the parking lot as hunters return. I'm sure game will be taken on the opener. I've seen legal bucks everytime I've been out this year.

good luck to all,
PLH

beastslayer

Banned
Reaction score
FT - And you might want to add, people starts target shooting at 7a.m.

Bring plenty of trash bag and help clean out the place.

You can mine brass, out of empty casings, right out of the gate.

Reaction score
I think the target shooting issue is in every spot of every zone.

I think guys will do well and I hope somebody from JHO scores.

As for me I'll be all alone in the Ventana Wilderness looking down on the Pacific Ocean and wondering how I ever missed drawing Cottonwood for the opener. If I'm lucky I'll see a buck or two in there while I'm daydreaming about the hot day I'll be missing.

FT

Publiclandhunter

Reaction score
[attachment=32055:attachment][
My partner and I got 2 forkies on the Cottonwood Opener. I shot mine near a huge chapparel patch and my buddy got his in one of the adjacent ridges near the main road up top. The opener was cold, windy and super thick with fog. All in all I saw about 20 deer (4 spikes, 3 legal bucks, and the rest anterless). I'd like to thank the three guys who helped me find the buck. I believe they tagged out, too. The shot was about 165 yards across a small valley. This was my first handloads used hunting, 30-06-165 Nosler Partion with 60 grs of Reloader 19. I saw a lot of people walking the roads, but not that many folks venturing too far off them. Didn't see any pigs this time. I believe 5 deer were tagged Saturday.

FT-I didn't see the 3x3 that I'd chased all during archery season so he's still out there for you to get. From looking at some of your pics, I believe you're in the right area. Next week I'll be at Hopland in Mendicino County trying to fill my last tag.

Good luck to all,
PLM

Attachments

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Publiclandhunter @ Aug 13 2006, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[attachment=32055:attachment][
My partner and I got 2 forkies on the Cottonwood Opener. I shot mine near a huge chapparel patch and my buddy got his in one of the adjacent ridges near the main road up top. The opener was cold, windy and super thick with fog. All in all I saw about 20 deer (4 spikes, 3 legal bucks, and the rest anterless). I'd like to thank the three guys who helped me find the buck. I believe they tagged out, too. The shot was about 165 yards across a small valley. This was my first handloads used hunting, 30-06-165 Nosler Partion with 60 grs of Reloader 19. I saw a lot of people walking the roads, but not that many folks venturing too far off them. Didn't see any pigs this time. I believe 5 deer were tagged Saturday.

FT-I didn't see the 3x3 that I'd chased all during archery season so he's still out there for you to get. From looking at some of your pics, I believe you're in the right area. Next week I'll be at Hopland in Mendicino County trying to fill my last tag.

Good luck to all,
PLM[/b]
WooooHooo!! Awesome job.

Reaction score
PLH

Nice job

I know my spot hold good bucks just depends if guys went in and stirred that area up.
Its a hard area and even if guys went in and looked I doubt many would go into it to hunt.

I'll find out at daybreak tomorrow.

Should be easy to spot the tall grass beat down if they were in there this weekend.

Good luck on the 2nd tag.

FT

CAhntr

Reaction score
PLH, congrats on the buck! Nice forky.

BTW
Was that you I saw in the Ca. game and fish magazine a fews years back with a nice boar from San Luis Reservoir WA? That was a nice bow kill!

Eric

Publiclandhunter

Reaction score
CAhutner,
Yes that was me a while back. That boar was still my biggest to date. Haven't caught up with any there this year, although I have seen a lot of deer crossing from the state park.

Roman Archer-the camo's ASAT. Seems to work well for me.

Kentuck-thanks. where 'bouts you from there? We used to live in Peaks Mill which is about 15 miles North of Frankfort ('74-84) Work has brought me out West. Blacktails are pretty similiar to whitetails as far as holding to cover and all.

Good luck to all.
PLH

Kentuck

Reaction score
PLH

I lived in Lousiville before we moved to CA but my family is from the London area in southeastern KY. Give me a shout sometime and maybe we can hook-up for a hunt.

Kentuck

Top Bottom