Anybody been out scouting?

MNHunter

Reaction score
Just wondering how the preseason scout is going. I've been out a lot and seen several good eight points and alot of smaller bucks. Nothing too huge yet.

prohunter

Reaction score
Been scouting here in Central Calif. Our season opens in two weeks. Suppose to be over a degrees alll this week. Man I wish they would change Bow Season until after the General Season.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
scouting is a year round ordeal. My favorite time to scout is Post Rut and late season early to mid winter...
Ialways chart and recall old Rub lines and scrape lines, bedding areas, feeding areas as seasons change. acorn and differant natural forage crops will peak at differant times, also dependant on weather dry/wet season.

also when Hunting I try to pay close attention to all deer I am seeing on stand, where they came from where they head too. and always try to analize why that is. where did they come from and where are they going and why. They seldom wander without purpose.

another great scouting tool is the game cameras. they allow you a sneak peak at the Bucks in your area, and will give you insight as to the quality of deer your areas holding.

MNHunter

Reaction score
I'm all about the post season scout. Any rut sign from the season is still there and you can bet that you'll find similar sign in the same areas the following season.

I have two trail cams out and I also have been sitting on stand three nights a week and glass deer in fields for the last month.

I found several small stands of white oak that are bearing good mast. Should be a good year!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom