Anybody have a scanner?

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
I used to ride with a guy who was a volunteer firefighter.  He always had a handheld scanner that we'd listen to police & fire transmissions on.  It was a real kick.  Anybody have a recommendation on one (reasonably priced).  Also, any restrictions on these things?  Any insight is appreciated.

Regards,
Paul

Marty

Reaction score
Most of the guys I know that have one, have a Bearcat.  The older 200 channel-ers to ok.  These guys use them for Nascar and Indy races, to listen to the pit chatter.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I've got an older Uniden that goes up to 800 mhz with 400 channels. You really need to get one of the newer 800 mhz trunk tracker scanners to follow most of the urban fire and PDs. L.A.Co, is still 450 mhz for fire and PD but San Bernardino, Riverside and Orange Co. have gone 800 mhz trunking.

There is also the ECPA (Electronic Communications Privacy Act), which says you CANNOT listen to public safety channels anymore on a scanner. L.A. County even has an ordnance against scanner use unless you get a letter from forestry or the sheriff. Never seen anyone tagged for using a scanner but it's a possiblity I guess.

If you're just after L.A. Co. get a plain 200 channel one. L.A. Co. will have a new system in place in about 3 years so you may have to upgrade to trunking then. This will also get you CDF and USFS forestry, Air attack and BLM channels which is good for keeping track of the fires.

All the good stuff like the FBI, Secret Service, DEA wnet digital scramble years ago and no longer is available to the public. On a slow day you could dial up the FBI and listen to all the bank robberies in L.A.

Any Uniden or Bearcat will work. AOR also makes good scanners but they are spendy.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom