Anybody Hunting Archery Arizona?

prohunter

Reaction score
I will be up that way for the opener Sept 10. Anybody else going? I have been shooting my bow 5 days a week now. I can only shoot 35 yard shots in my backyard.

arizona jim

Reaction score
prohunter,

I will be up there in the North Kaibab from the 9th to the 19th. I drive a red Jeep Cherokee. I will most likely be hunting medium high elevations. I have not even looked yet, but usually you can buy a turkey tag for the same time. This will be the first time bow hunting in 2 years. I just had surgery on my shoulder in January. I will be practicing this whole month. I am having to crank my bow down to 60lbs. I hope to get proficient out to 40 yards.

Kaibab is my favorite place to hunt deer. I have seen some nice ones up there, but have never tagged a really big buck. Maybe this year ????

Maybe we will run into each other.

prohunter

Reaction score
I will be up there the same time. i drive a white dodge cummins 4x4. i will be in the north kaibab area. i am still researching a couple of spots. never been there this will be my first.

BOHNTR

Reaction score
Went up there scouting for a few days and was VERY disappointed. The most deer I saw in one day was nine with a spike being the only buck. I know this country like the back of my hand and ususally can video/photo bucks even on bad years. The Kaibab is in BIG trouble....I think the last thing it needs is another doe hunt this year. I've heard they estimate the population at less than 3000 animals (according to the warden I spoke to about the matter) this year. It's beautiful country to hunt and holds fond memories for me. I wish it held the bucks of years past. Good luck to you guys....looks like you'll need it.

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Ol One TRack is heading up there. Lucky Bastage

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Prohunter,

I'm not going this year, but I have gone the last few. As of last year you could get an archery turkey tag over the counter ($50 I think). Not a secret spot or anything, but the road to the North Rim Lodge has numerous big meadows where the deer congregate. We back tracked some trails and set up evening stands above some of these meadows. We usually hunt several waterholes, but the past few years there has been some pretty good conflicts over them. Twice guys left a note "reserving" the waterhole we were setting on (after we had set our tree stands up) and then getting mad that we did not respect the "reservation".
We may have just lucked out, but we have not had any problems with other people above the meadows. We try to get about .25 miles above them. Most evenings we saw bucks walking down to the meadow, and usually someone stalked them and ran them back by us. Both my hunting partner and I have gotten good chances at bucks every time we have went. Last year I passed on a nice 4X4 thinking that a larger 4X4 behind him would give me a shot. He did not and I went away empty handed. ALWAYS seem to get a turkey though!

Brewbear1

Reaction score
prohunter,

I hunted the Kaibab the last 4 years. The first 3 years watering holes was the way to go. Last years it rained everyday. So water was not a factor. I suggest staying north arround Jacob Lake.

Its Long Drive Stay Safe

GOOD LUCK!!!

Brewbear

prohunter

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! One place I am looking at is north of Jacob Lake. The other is a backpack trip into the wilderness north east of the Grand Canyon.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom