Anybody taken down a deer w/ .243 non-lead bullet?

leftyhunter

Reaction score
I started a post about non- lead bullets that work on the hog forum. I was wondering though if anybody has used a non-lead bullet in .243 Win (my sons rifle caliber) and actually taken a deer (any species) with one. I can let my kid use my .270 but the.243 is so light my kid would find it a bit easier to carry.

I saw an add for the Hornady non lead bullet and Hornady of course says it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Anybody used that round on deer or other brands. ?

I have Federal premium lead for AZ if my kid gets a good tag but at FHL has you guys know lead is verboten.

Thanks;
Leftyhunter

chap_dog48

Reaction score
I have no info on the .243 but my wife shoots a .25 WSSM and she used the barnes bullet and dropped a huge 3x2 with one shot last season. Seemed to work for her. Good Luck, Kurt

84toyota

Reaction score
I've killed blacktail, whitetail, mulies, bear, pigs, coyotes... all with my 25-06 using the original 115 grain Barnes X-bullets... Works for me... The only deer that ran far at all were two bucks that I had bad shot placement on. And they still died within 100 yards.

Ken

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
Yes, my son (13 at the time) used a .243 with a 85grn TSX to slay a doe two years ago. He did not make a good shot because he was shaking so bad out of being nervous. He is a good shot but his first deer gave him the shakes.

Well he ended up shooting the deer directly from behind and thank goodness he used an all copper bullet. The bullet traveled thru the rear and exited out of the front rib.

The doe dropped immediately but did not die right away. I told my son to chamber another round immediately just incase. Luckily he did as the deer got up a moment later and he put the final shot thru both shoulders and that was it.

The good news is that there were NO meat damaged to the hind quarters. Something to think about. A .243 will kill deer dead at reasonable distances. I do not live in condor zone but chose to use copper because of this reason. Sometime shiet happens during hunting and not all shots are perfect. Knowing this I chose a copper bullet for his first deer hunt.

However, he will be hunting a premium zone this year and I have switched the all copper to a 90grn swift scirocco. I believe this will do the trick.

He is practicing shooting every other week now until opening day. Everytime we go camping I would setup 6" size balloons at about 250yds out and have him shoot those. He gets really excited poping the balloons at that range. He is not a die hard hunter like his dad so I must do what I can to keep him interested in practicing. Ok I'm done. :)

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I picked up a Rem. 700 BDL two years ago and so far I killed two bucks from FHL with the 85 grain TSX, one buck from G1 with Federal Classic 100 grain, and two pigs from the same herd with the 85 grain TSX. All the animals were one shot killed except the second pig got one bullet in the ham and one in the head while on the dead run. So my take on the .243 TSX is to place your shot in the right spot and you should be good.

L2H

Farmerdoug

Reaction score
My father in-law and I both shoot 243's. We switched to copper last year and between us, ended up shooting a 200lb boar, two mulies, and atleast a half dozen coyotes all with the 85gr Federal Vital-Shok. So far, these little bullets seem to be extremely fast and accurate. I can't complain yet. However, the boar did take 2 shots to put down. The first shot sent him spinning in circles, and the second put him to sleep. Give it try, I think you'll be more than happy with the results....

Mntngoat

Reaction score
Over on Saubier there is a member that shoots feral hogs with 30 grain .17 caliber bullets in TX. Granted these are under 100 lb hogs and head shots.

I was just surprised a 17 caliber would be a one shot kill.

ML

dlovato

Reaction score
Copper bullets (barnes) will do as good or better than any other bullet than you can buy, IMHO.

- Darryl

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Thanks guys:wavin hello:

I am surprised that a 85grain bullet can humanly take down a pig or a deer and a non-lead bullet at that. The balloon at 250 yard targets sounds like a very creative idea and a fun way to encourage target practice. Unfortunately I live in the belly of the beast in LA and will have to settle for Angeles Crest (which is a nice range) but does not allow for creativity.

Thanks Again:JHO rocks:

elk aholic

Reaction score
I HAVE TAKEN MANY ANIMALS WITH SOLID COPPER BULLETS 243/7MMSTW.300WSM 300WEATHERBY MAG. AND OLD FAITHFUL THOMPSON ENCORE 50 CAL WHICH HAS TAKEN MANY ELK AND WORLD RECORD WILD BOAR. THE ONLY BULLET I WILL USE II BARNES X BULLETS THEY ARE FANTASTIC. THE ONLY PROBLEM THAT IS THE SEEM TO LIKE DIFFEREN GUNS TRY THEM I THINK YOU WILL BE SUPRISED OF THE 1 SHOT KILLS.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom