Anybody use Deer Cane?

MNHunter

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried deer cane and what success you've had?

D Letho

Reaction score
You might find a few more answer in the " Land Management, Conservation & QDM " .

I used it once about 3 years ago . One was the 1 gallon jug and one was the bag you mixed with water .

The gallon jug worked about 2 months after Iput it down . The mix never took off and never touched .

If you go to the above Land Management, Conservation & QDM You will find Home Brew deer min licks . Works great . If you ask me 50 pounds of salt poured on the ground works as good as cane .

Just my

MNHunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I actually just put out some of the Black Magic no mix. Haven't checked it yet, but hopefully it works for me,
I have a camera on it.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
No, never tried that But VMASS will get them going pretty good... I have heard alot of good things about VMass... I have never tried it, But know many who have and swear by it.

PaPaBob

Reaction score
I tried a couple of bags of Deer Cane(bag type) recently and got very poor results. Actually one site actually went completely dead with no pictures taken in an area where I was getting quite a few pictures in a week. Zero the next week.

But, I do know that it works really great in the fall but you have to buy hundreds of pounds of thestuff. Just spread it around in the leaves around your bow stand and you can continue to hunt well into the night and shoot at the silouhettes. Just like Dec. show hunting in Michigan. Full moon and little bit of show and you can't tell the difference of when the sun goes down and the moon comes up. Gets pretty cold though.

cavey

Reaction score
One thing I've learned about deer cane...
1/3 have little luck with it...
1/3 say it's ok and have moderate action...
1/3 say it is awsome...

It has been around for years and every time I hear people talk about it, you hear the same thing... One guy has nothing good to say about it, his buddy down the road has a crater in the ground you could hide a pick-up truck in from all the action.

I put it out this summer, and within a few weeks the deer had a pretty good hole in the ground... now that it is started and the deer are coming in good I think I'm going to try the home-brew mix... just to see how it compares.

I have mixed feelings about setting a cam on a lick, I prefer to set the cam on the trails coming/going from them... unless you have an IR set-up. It always seemed messed up to me to bait'em in then spook'em off with the flash. I just figure I get more of the larger deer in my pics when I give them the bait pile as a no pressure area to feed.

Anyways I have always had great luck with the original powdered mix...

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Cavey: I agree with you these kind of products. It's the same with deer scents. Some I have used very successfully and others have never got a postiive response to them. It all depends on the deers reaction and mood at the time they pass by.

Also, I have learned over the past year about putting the cams on the trails coming to the lick or baited area. I plan on taking my cams down and away from my hotspots weeks before opening day. Give them a rest and stop putting them on edge when the come into my stand area. Last year when I had my cam setup right at my hunting spot I found that if I set it up to just take day pictures I had much better luck overall. The nighttime flash doesn't seem to bother the smaller bucks and the does but the big boys certainly are another breed altogether and don't like anything out of the ordinary. They just vacate the area after a while.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Bob,

Heck with the Deer Cane... and excuse my typing here... Im trying to type over a drool wet keyboard.... Just place your avatar Pics out there you will have every Buck in the forest hanging around your game cam...

timberman

Reaction score
Yup, I'll have to admit, I tried it once when I was in college, but I didn't inhale...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom