Anyone been shooting any ducks?

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
i hunted mon tues wed at a few of my honey holes and did pretty well overall 2 teal monday 4 teal 3 mallards tues and 3 teal on a solo hunt wed. anyone else doing decent?

fishnhunt

Reaction score
I'll let you know I'm going to head out to my buddies ranch and try and shoot some birds. I should do pretty good assuming the river isn't frozen yet!! It was six degrees this morning!!

Game-Stopper

Reaction score
I've gotten out a few times but its been kind of slow. Drew #20 at sac the other day and ended up with a 3 bird average with 3 other guys in the blind. Would have been a lot more if we knew how to shoot. There were a ton of birds. With the weather movin in next week it should start pickin up here pretty soon. Good Luck!

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
ya when i went out wed i should have had a limit within the first 30 min but i prolly shot the worst i have ever shot and only came out with 3. and it didnt help that some jerk off parked his bike in the middle of the road instead of in the grass or somethin so it wasnt exposed. i couldnt figure out why ducks would b locked up 300 yards away flying right at me and right when they hit the road they would flare. then i went to get my cart and i found it just laying there i was soooo mad but what can u do

Bullsprig1

Reaction score
I hear you dkhuntr25 some hunters are just brain dead:smiley_doh: when it comes to common sense.

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
ya i mean anytime i have taken a bike or a cart i always hide it. and it was my first time on this refuge and i didnt know any of the ponds or anything and i finally found some water and walk almost all the way out to the spot i was gonna sit and a guy stands up yelling and i was like dont u have a light or somethin to let people know where u are. who doesnt carry a headlamp or somethin while duck hunting man people these days. bullsprig where do u normally hunt?

Bullsprig1

Reaction score
Dkhuntr25,

I hunt all of the refuges in the grasslands. I have been shooting ducks and geese there since 1989 so I know them well. Yep on the yelling...people just don't have the respect for other hunters:confused-yellow: and they think they own the refuge. I tend to like hunting refuges with assigned blinds so I don't have to put up with the riff raff but if I can't I'll hunt free roam but walk as far away from the parking lots as possible to get away from jerks:moon: period.

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
ya this was my first time on san luis and had no clue where the water was the maps are crappy and i was just lookin for some open water i was hunting out of parking lot 2 im taking a bike next time round trip i prolly walked almost 2 miles.

Bullsprig1

Reaction score
There are blinds on San Luis and I have a map showing them but it's mad rush to get to them because they are not assigned. Send me your email and I'll send you a pdf file of the map.

Bullsprig1

Reaction score
Yep...so next time your out there scout around. I'll shoot you a map on Monday. Next time hunt out of parking lot 3...just a bit more water.

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
parking lot 3 huh? i heard go to the very back from parking lot 3 and u will do well.

fishnhunt

Reaction score
Went out jumpshooting ducks/pheasants....Not a single duck to be found under the 3+" of ice on the ponds and rivers. Guess my duck season is over (its supposed to be negative for the next several days!!) hopefully we get some snow to push the geese in to my hunting areas!!

Top Bottom