Anyone ever tried?

skeeterbait

Reaction score
I moved from fiber optic barrel sights to a tube style red dot sight for turkey this year and realized the precision was far better than the fiber optics. I also realized that it rendered the shotgun relatively useless for moving targets because of slow target acquisition. Thinking about moving to a open lens reflex sight like the one below for next season. Anyone ever tried this style of sight on a shotgun?

Jay R.

Reaction score
My Hunting Buddy has one pretty close to that on his Remington 870 12 Gauge and it is sweet. Just center the dot aim and take him out. It has a really nice feild of veiw as you can see just a little trim around the lense. I dont remember the company he got it from but it feels pretty tuff it was bright enough during the day. Just remember to keep the batterys charged and you should be good to go all day.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
It looks like the Bushnell Halosight I've shot before. I'm a mess with a shotgun being right eye dominant but shoot leftie. The Halograph really helped me on swinging shots and fixed targets. Kinda spendy but it did seem to help quick aquisition of targets. I'm almost 50 so I need all the help I can get on the eye/aiming part.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Same here Jesse, I am righty with left eye dominant. So when having to line up a front sight and a rear sight, I have to close my left eye. This sight seems to be going to let me shoot with both eyes open. Having both eyes open and focusing on the target, the red dot appears to be hovering in space out in front of you. Haven't pulled the trigger with it yet, but it appears to be going to work.

Plus this gives you a choice of four different reticles, a red dot, a center crosshair, a circle with a center dot, and a crosshair with a circle in the center. I am thinking the crosshairs may can be used as a lead gauge for wingshooting. The horizontal line is 65 moa from left end to right end. So that is 32.5 moa from center to either end. That translates to about 11 inches at 33 yards. So swinging with the end of the horizontal line just in front of the bird would give you about a foot lead at 35 yards.

I think the circle with the center dot is going to be my preference for turkey hunting. It's easier to pick up than the dot alone.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Skeeterbait,

I've shot lots of stuff looking through a scope, but it was always been because of distance that I needed one. Knowing that most turkey shots are taken inside of 45 yds. Whats the advantage to using one of these? Fiber optics on the barrel give you a much larger field of view, just in case the bird makes you and either turns away or moves quickly. Plus, it seems to me it's just something else to break, hang up in brush, or be seen by the birds............just curious......

P.S.
Maybe it's just more stuff for us hunters to buy or a better mouse trap.....

P.S.S.
I too am left eye dominant and shoot right-handed. I did have to switch to left handed twice this season though (came in from the right & are both in the freezer).................

skeeterbait

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ilovesprig @ May 6 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
... Whats the advantage to using one of these? ...[/b]
I thought the same thing for a long time. But talking to others using red dots, I decided to give it a try this past season. I was hoping to keep from having to shut my left eye and from having to line up multiple aimng points. The tube style sight I used was quicker and easier to line up and no worries about sight alignment. It simply made the shot easier. But the thick tube was not conducive to keeping both eyes open. What extra I learned though was that I liked being able to see the whole bird in my sight and not just his head floating above my fiber optics. With barrel sights, the bird is blocked by the barrel. I haden't realized this was an issue till the first time I actually put the red dot sight on a bird. Watching the whole bird in the sight was just simply cool.

Top Bottom