Anyone ever use cams over water??

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Had some people ask me if I could help them out with a project next year.  It will involve mounting the cams along the edges of rivers and lakes pointing out over open water.
Since over open water is one place that I've never used my cams, was wondering if any of you guys have any experience using the cams over water?  If so, I'd like to hear about your results.

Thanks,
Arch

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Arch,

I had about 12 hours experience...

kept seeing a Great Blue Heron on our little stock pond so thought I'd try to get his pix (since the Buzzards wouldn't cooperate)

the next day, all the pix's were taken (24)  I think the rippling water fooled the PIR,  I pitched that roll of film so not real sure that's what happended,  just was sure enough to not want to spend $7 to see.

See Ya!

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Arch,

I had one of my cameras in the river bottoms last year and the whole area flooded.  The camera was out for about three weeks with water all around it.  I had deer coming through until the water got so high that the entire bottom was full and yes a lot of false pictures.  Up until the water got high the camera worked great.  I had pictures for several days of deer spaced out over the time until the water reached a level just below the camera.  Once this happened all the pictures were taken in just a day or so.  Most of them were during the middle of the day.

I hooked the circuit up in a shop at work and used an O scope to watch the PIR to see if it was false triggering on its own but the air conditioner itself would raise the trigger level up and down as the wind from the air conditioner would kick on and off.  I am not sure if this is the same as the water everywhere but it does seem to affect it.

I have had one over a creek and it did not seem to affect it at all.  You might be able lower the sensitivity and use it over water but I haven't tried that.

Brian

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Dang! - just what I didn't want to hear!  I'll have to put out one of my cams facing over water with the cam turned off and just use the event recorder to see how many times the thing goes off.
The tough part is, if a passive sensor won't work, there is no other choice since there is no way to get the other end of an active IR sensor out in the water - NO, I'm not buildin' a dock for the thing!
I don't think an ultrasonic or microwave detector would work due to the rising/falling water setting it off.

Any ideas??

Archilochus

dharter

Reaction score
I just checked one of my cameras that is right next to a creek.  I opened up the ammo can and saw the LED picture count flashing.  I pulled out the camera and instead of numbers it said "H"  I assume that this means humidity.  I thought that I had carefully sealed this ammo can.  It turns out that the ms20 has a opening on the bottom near auto switch.  So humid air can flow into the ms20 and then through it into the ammo can.  
I had another humidity  problem with another camera.  When I tested it in the fileld, it started oscilalting between on and off.  I thought that the battery was low.  I brought it home and let it sit for a while.  When I tried it, the test LED worked as it should.  I think Archilochus has written about how humidity can affect the ms20.  I sealed up that ms20 better and have placed it back in the field.  
I have also had a roll where the film would not rewind because of the humidty.  Alll these cameras had dessicant in them, but they were not sealed like I thought they were.

coyote

Reaction score
Hi Arch
Yup..I 've used mine over water.  I've hung it low say six inches above the water and never had a single misfire.  Got muskrats-geese-ducks-grebes.  The thing is the same as snow.  Parralell to the ground and point northerly. I never had a prob.  choose a shadey spot...I hung it under a log...go for it ,It''ll work....yoteee'

Matt in MO

Reaction score
Neat yote! I've wanted to try to get some duck photos off my club, but haven't had the nerve yet. Since I know it can work, I may risk losing the unit to a flood.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Arch,

Just pulled one of my cameras out of the water.  The slough came up and the camera went down under water that is.

I dried it out and it appears to work.  I will have to develop the film if it is not destroyed and see what is on it. It should have been over water for awhile before it sank.  Maybe it didn't mess the film up.  I will try to develp it and see.

Keep this in mind while you are setting yours up over water.

Brian

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Brian,

Don't forget to post any pix's of Catfish you get!

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn,

If I get a picture of a catfish you bet I will post it.  It would more likely be an alligator in this part of the woods or maybe a beaver.

Who knows may even have some ducks.

NEW SUBJECT:

Tinhorn,

What was refresh time on the Owl PF that ya'll came up with a while back.  

Brian

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Brian,

I used Archy's suggestion and had a 1/4 second pulse every 7 min's or so.  He said 7 min's worked out best in colder weather.

BTW:
If the pulse is too long, the Red Eye Reduction circuit will be activated (the flash comes on just like a regular Light, not a flash)

See Ya!

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn,

Thanks for the info.

I bought all the stuff to be able to use the microchips. (Software,programmer,etc.)

I can control timing to the uS with the chips.

I will not be able to use them until after hunting season but I will play with them a little at a time.

Thanks again,

Brian

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Nope.

I did get some half water half blurr exposures though.  No fish.  Darn it.

Top Bottom