Anyone going Quail hunting this weekend?

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Archery Quail and Chukar opens this Saturday!!  It is your first chance to get some tasty birds while they still don't realize what is going on. :)

Eric

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
No quarter, fight them no good chukars under a black flag. Where you going Eric?  Sometimes I wish I could use my blunts on some of these L.A. drivers.

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Either down Salton Sea way (if I want a 2 second sun-burn) or up to the Antelope Valley and a hidden waterhole I hope is still there.

I was up north last Sunday and saw no less than 200 quail about 30 feet from me...  arg!!

Eric

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Last year a friend and I were up deer hunting in A zone and were sitting on the tailgate having a cold beverage when a man and his two sons pulled up next to us.  The boy on the passenger side asked if we had seen any quail and we told him a lot.  He wanted to know where because they were hunting them, with shotguns!  We tried everything to convince them that it may be opened for archery but it wasn't open for shotguns.  They said their grandpa told them it said in the early bird season flyer that it was open.  They had already killed two and were headed out looking for more.  I checked the flyer myself when I got home and it was a little confusing, F&G likes it that way, but it was clear that it was for archery only.  Good luck Eric.

Brian

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Eric- If your Antelope Valley water hole is one of the spots I go to you should have plenty to shoot at. I have been scouting them for dove, and the quail are so thick that the dove and rabbits have to fight for a spot! Now you have me thinking-I need something to do Sunday morning. What type of heads do you use for quail?     Good luck    Scott

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Don't think it's the same area, this one is pretty hidden, but you never know.  The heads I use are either Judo points or Snaros.  The Snaros suck because they weigh a ton so your arrow dives something fierce.  When the quail are not in real brushy areas they work fine, otherwise the judo point is it.  

Oh, I also bought some bright orange tape that I put on the arrow just below the fletching to help find them in the thick areas.

Good luck if you go, it's a blast!

Eric

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I went out this morning and actually hit a few. Guess all that practice is paying off. Plenty of birds to shoot at. It should be a good year.      Scott

Top Bottom