Anyone had impingment of the shoulder?

rijrnnr

Reaction score
I've been diagnosed with impingment in the left shoulder. Pulling my bow back is not even an option at this point with about 5 weeks until season opens. Am in Physical Therapy, and have taken a Cortizone shot. Anyone out there who has experienced the same problem would appreciate some feedback!!!! :(

rickt300

Reaction score
I went thru therapy for 4 months with no discernable improvement so I went to a different doctor who did surgery on my left shoulder july 11 of this year and am practising with my bow as of yesterday. Therapy is helping now , before the surgery it was a waste of my time.

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
I had surgery done May 15 and just now able to pull my bow back. It is only set at 55# now so I will be able to hunt. I am practicing now a few shots a day so by season next month I will be reasonably close to normal except I expect to be shooting 60# instead of normal 68 for me. Good luck with yours. MC.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Going through same thing right now. Getting an MRI in two weeks to verify if it is an impingement. My buddy, who is a doctor, says that if it is diagnosed as an impingment, the only corrective action is sugery. PT is a waste of time.

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
I dont know about impingement, what is it? Last year I had an MRI and was diagnosed with degenerative rotator cuff disease in both shoulders. I couldnt draw the bow for about 4 weeks. Now when I practice i shoot 2 dozen arrows instead of 4. Still have some localized pain, some days worse than others. I just kind of try to take it easier on them. Except when it's hunting season.

GIVEMTHEBLADE

Reaction score
I had surgury on my left shoulder 4 years ago June 17, And by Aug 1 st of that year I was shooting my bow!! Have you thought about a cross bow??? I know it sucks but maybe you should look into it!! It would be worth it if you could hunt this fall!!! Or I don't know how serious your condition is but maybe a bow w/ a 35 lbs draw my friends mom shoots deer whith a bow like that every year!! Well hope you get it figured out!!! Or if all else fails gun season is an option!!

rijrnnr

Reaction score
H&W, impingement is where the bone that grows over the rotator cuff and bursa (if you look at an picture it looks like a "plate of armour") is curved, enlogated, or has spurs. When working over your shoulder, or for me, even straight out from the shoulder, this bone (mine is both enlongated and curved), rubs the bursa, and the rotator cuff. If not corrected, it can eventually lead to severe rotator cuff injury, and then a more invasive surgery is required, as well as a much longer recovery time.
The cortizone shot helped, and PT has helped some. The shoulder is still not 100%, go back to the doctor tomorrow. I considered a crossbow exemption, but between the cost to get set up, and a short time frame to learn a completely new weapon, probably wont go that route. If this was going to be a long term problem, I would, but can't see doing it for just one year.
The physical therapists I have been working with have been great. They understand exactly what my goal is {to be able to shoot my bow this year}, and have the surgery early next year.
Thanks for each of your replies. I was beginning to think I was the only bowhunter out there with this ailment
. I will post again here and let you know how things go.

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Hmmmm! I wonder if it is directly or indirectly related to the stress put on ones shoulder in drawing a bow, and then the time that ya hold. Have the Dr's or the PT made any comments on this?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom