ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON BEARS IN D7 OR D8...LOOKING TO TAKE MY SON OUT FOR HIS FIRST BEAR

jsg2000

Reaction score
Hey everyone im not expecting a whole lot of responses to this, but im looking for some information about some spots to take my son to hunt a bear. I am looking to hunt D7 AND D8. Ive been all over theses two zones with no luck just yet. I would like for my son to experience this. Any information would be greatly appreciated thanks.

huntingbret

Reaction score
I heard the areas around Wishon reservoir is good for bears but I have never hunted the area so I wouldn't know where to point you. Bears are like bucks and you'll find them where they are. Saying that, its just a matter of spending time out there and hoping to get lucky. I have seen more bear signs this year than before but I've only seen two bears total so far. Good luck to you and your son.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Wanna bear? Go north, the further you go the better the hunting.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Been having lots of bear in towns on the valley floor the last month or so. If going D8, go low elevation in the foothills

Wild1

Reaction score
Do you want your son to experience a bear hunt, or a bear kill….? For a hunt, just keep going to your area and hunt it - that's what hunting is - perseverance. A bear kill, with your son, is unlikely - take a look at the bear kill percentages on the DFG(w) website. The more people (in the is case, two), equals more scent, more noise, more movement, making your odds even lower. If you want to experience a bear kill, with your son, you'll have to put in hours and hours, and days and days, of pre-season scouting and trail cameras to find bears. Or, you could just go to Canada, on a baited bear hunt, and the two of you will kill bears.

Most black bears, especially bigger boars, will not tolerate human scent, noise, or movement - so they will immediately bolt. They've been near you while you were out there, but you never saw 'em. Start early summer with a multiple trail cameras and tons of time and effort, or plan a trip to Canada.

Or, if rifle hunting, find a strategic spot (lots to this also) and glass, glass, glass. Don't move or talk for hours. Spot your bear and shoot it. This type of (rifle) hunting is most effective, but not very enjoyable to a young person (not sure how old your son is).

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
You might try the Kennedy Meadows area, as they are currently experiencing bear problems.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Wild1 gave some great advice, as far as increasing your chances for bear encounters mendo, Shasta and trinity are the big three for bear populations.......tra

jsg2000

Reaction score
Well i went up this weekend and i found some amazing sign of bears every 10 feet i had scat or marking on trees or bedding areas. Around 8 am i spotted 4 bears glassing the next mountain over. Unfortunately they were about 2 miles away and moving away from us. I will continue to go back now that i have found them and figure out their patterns and i know that we will get one eventually

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Nice, glad you found them. Just curious, did any of the information you got from the guys help?

Nabes68

Reaction score
I am planning on going up to D7 wed morning where did you see the bear signs at? I was thinking wishon area

vogel002

Reaction score
thats great spotting at @ 2 miles away, well done. What zone/elevation you seeing these Bruins?

jsg2000

Reaction score
To answer all questions without giving away everything. I took into consideration all the information i was given. But i returned to my regular spot in d8 and did some rootin around and stumbled across the scat and bedding areas. I was about 5k to 6k in elevation and the bears were down a at around 2k to 3k just grazing. Thank everyone for all the information that was given it was all very informative, helpful and motivating. I will keep everyone updated we plan to go up this weekend gonna get at it pretty hard and see if we cant get on one.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
jsg2000, it's good to see that you were able to gleen some information from what was stated. It's even better to see you come back with contributing information. I had a feeling that many of the bears may have dropped in elevation. No doubt with the rain, the fresh grasses will be pushing up, and that will be their next major food source (assuming we got enough rain).

Bankrunner

Reaction score
First and foremost, the first two sentences of Bubblehide's post X 2 !!!
Secondly and regarding my previous post, I have to admit I was trolling for a positive response, in that i was hoping you would thank the guys that helped you.

jsg2000

Reaction score
I believe I did thank everyone for their help. I was very surprised to get so many responses. My son and I have made some very good memories trying to track these guys down. Thanks again everyone

Bankrunner

Reaction score
I believe I did thank everyone for their help. I was very surprised to get so many responses. My son and I have made some very good memories trying to track these guys down. Thanks again everyone
You did, and i applaud you for for that. Check the string for timing of posts.
Good luck to you and your son.

jsg2000

Reaction score
Well guys went up again yesterday, i had to go solo because my son had school. I hit my usual spot and got there at first light. I got to a good spot where i could glass down overlooking a few canyons. Immediately i heard some noise down in the canyon among the fallen leaves, initially I thought it was some mountain quail but after listening for a little bit longer i thought it might be a deer so i listened for a little longer and i was convicted it was a bear then i heard the sound of cracking timber. Now i was definitely certain it was a bear this bear was pushing over a tree making its way through the thick canyon. I high tailed it down the canyon stopping every chance I could to stop and listen for the sound trying to determine how far i needed to go down before heading in the direction of the sound. About a 1/4 mile down the canyon i stopped to listen and i didn't hear anything for atleast 5 minutes. Finally after listening i hear the sound above me, i carefully and slowly made my way back up the canyon listening for the sound trying to determine where this bear was at and then it just disappeared. I sat at the top of the canyon listening for anything to point me in the right direction. Now im not saying i was scared but i didn't feel it was wise for me to go into this thick wooded steep canyon to jump this bear, at times i was on my hands and knees crawling under trees and bushes. Now my question for you wiser more experienced hunters is, i have been up to this area multiple times and every time i see so many signs of bears so i know they are there but these canyons are so thick and heavy that these bears are only coming out after the sun goes down and they know that no sane person will try to attempt to hoof through the canyon so these bears know they are safe and comfortable in there. How do i get these guys out of there or is my only option to get in there and flush them out and pursue them after they get on the move?

Top Bottom