Anyone Hunt Texas Public Lands?

shadow

Reaction score
I have Bow hunted at Richland Chambers WMA and Gus England WMA a time or two with good success.
Last year I took a 9point and a doe from Richland Chambers and a doe from Gus England.

B

brian bearden

i live in longview and have hunted the public land near carthage with no luck. i did call in a turkey for a buddy on the sabine national forest this year though. do you hunt draw hunts or just by your type II permit?

rickt300

Reaction score
Shadow you wouldn't happen to be one of the Texas Whiskerkitty crew would you?  I hunt both Wma's you listed and gun hunt unit 120 Anderson county. I want to hunt the Angelina Neches/Dam B unit 707 this year for the late season Blackpowder hunt. I also know of a dove hunt listed in the type II book that combines catching 20 pound flatheads like pond perch and dove hunting. I would like to have a greater number of characters to scheme on hunting trips with so send me an email.

shadow

Reaction score
Brian,  I normally hunt on the type II permit.  I have submited several years for drawings and have only been picked once out of about 30 submits over the last three years.

rickt300,
I am not one of the Texas Whiskerkitty crew.  I only try to Bow hunt on those two as rifle hunting on public land is a bit unnerving to me.  Two years ago I was gun hunting down by Rusk state park and had a Rifle go off about 50 yards away and it took a dear that I was drawing down on.  The guy stated "he didn't see me"...YA RIGHT  he shot about 20 yards to the right of me and just think I was in full orange, pants, vest, hat, gloves.  Since then I said I wouldn't gun hunt public lands unless it was only shot gun hunts for birds or squirels.  This year I will be spending opening day at my lease since I have seen a nice 12 point that I want.

Top Bottom