Anyone Hunting Carrizo Plains?

KDUB GSP3

Reaction score
Just asking, been out in couple spots yet to come across birds. Planing to go back out nextweek to check a new area that has produced birds in passed years for the dogs and me. I will keep trying just wondering if any other hunters are having luck tracking down quail or chukar in the area.

pilgrimbizket

Reaction score
From what ive heard I would avoid the area like the plague.
the area has had close to zero production for a couple of years. Quail unlimited has made a special chapter for the area just to increase productivity

GSP4Runner

Reaction score
It generally is a good place to hunt but since the drought has been awful.

Upforthehunt85

Reaction score
Really bad I've been to ballinger, apache canyon, back and forth through Lockwood valley, yellow jacket and half moon. Have only seen on valley quail in 6 trips, couldn't imagine it would be any better at carrizo

FreeRange

Reaction score
Places I used to hunt and see tons of birds some friends went to last year and saw zero birds. Could only have gotten worse since then. Rain is pretty important for water sources out there. Makes me miss the good old days, it is a great area to hunt in good years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hog slayer

Reaction score
I use to hunt it all the time. It has been severals years since I have hunted there. Behind Kern Land Company. BLM land, even though they seem not to want you in there. We would walk several miles before we would start hunting. Lots of quail. No problem in getting a limit several years ago. There are plenty of springs in the draws in the area, and hogs too. This year is the worst I have ever seen it. I hunt the Timbler range just East of Carrizo Plains. I checked all the guzzlers, some had water and some not. The quail count way down this year compared to last year. I saw no quail at all while hunting and very little sign. Compared to last year I saw a fair amount of birds, not this year. I am afraid the drought has killed off a lot of birds, also no thanks to BLM for there over grazing practices. On a positive note I did run in to a covey of chuckar. I managed to take two. I would still go and hunt the Carrizo plains. I have friends who just would give up on the bird hunting because of the bad reports on the bird populations. I don't believe a lot of it. Other areas seem to hold more birds that others because of the weather. I still managed to get birds. Good Luck on your hunt.

bnicks

Reaction score
I hunted there opening weekend and did not see a single bird. The dog never even got birdy the whole hunt. Disappointing.

Top Bottom