anyone in iowa

drew

Reaction score
wondering if anybody in here hunts or lives in iowa. will be making the move in month or so. looking for places to hunt.

drew

slreinking

Reaction score
Yes. What area are you moving to?
Bow or shotgun seasons?
I hunt east side bow and west side shotgun.
Parts of the southern state are doing more leased hunting, but north of I-80 is pretty much free.
Best bet is to scout around and start asking farmers permission, most will let you hunt if others don't already have permission. A plat book is very helpful in identifying owners. Bow season is easier to find spots as lots of farmers shotgun hunt.
The DNR game biologists are usually helpful if you're lucky enough to have public places in the area you're moving. Try this site for their contact ifo. http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/files/mbiolst.html
They may be able to hook you up with landowners also.

drew

Reaction score
well for sure western iowa. my wife works in denison and for now we have a rental there but we have looked at homes in Mo. valley and Harlan and Moorhead. i will have to commute to Omaha for work. and haven't tried bow yet so for sure this year will be shotgun.

drew

slreinking

Reaction score
Should be good hunting all through that area. That's a ways south of where I'd have any contacts for you. Think there's public ground in the loess hills and along the Missouri river around Omaha.
You have to be careful during shotgun, the short seasons prompt some guys to shoot at anything and shoot often. It's gotten better than it used to be, but wear lots of orange.
Good luck.

Top Bottom