Anyone know about Putah Quail?

maodiver

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Putah Creek WA near Lake Berryessa?  I have heard Quail up there when fishing, and wanted to try it out for the opener.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I have never heard of Putah Creek WA and have lived in the area my whole life.

Brian

Kentuck

Reaction score
The Yolo Bypass is not the area being asked about. The Putah Creek Wildlife area is below the dam on Berryessa, encompasses about 600 acres, is open from opener of deer season until January 31 and is said to have good population of deer and both mountain and valley quail. Call DFG and get the free publication "Wildlife Area Map Packet".

db 183

Reaction score
kentuck is right...
I have been to the Putah Creek Wildlife Area. It is on the other side of Monticello Dam. It is pretty steep and you have to be careful of joggers and hikers on the weekends. There is an RV park near by and the security guy there has a hand drawn, photo copied map that outlines the area for you. It is pretty small, like one square mile, but it is open for any legal species during their respective seasons. I have shot a few doves and one quail in there. I haven't been there to hunt in a couple of years. If you are coming from Vacaville or Winters, you take 128 toward Berryessa. As you approach Monticello Dam you will drive through a small RV Resort. After you pass it, you go across a bridge over Putah Creek. This is the beginning of the area. There are two parking lots as you go up the hill toward the dam. They are your typical state lots, made of dirt and not marked except for the iron gates. You can not hunt near the creek if I remember correctly, but it is an infamous spot for fly fishing.  I go past the first lot and park on the side of the road near the next steep curve. You can cross the street and take the dirt trails up the hill. It is all state land there. Get the "Hunting and Other Uses on state and federal lands" book from your hunting dealer or fish and game. Putah Creek Wildlife area is listed and it tells you the restrictions. If you go out there stop in at the resort. I did. I talked to the security supervisor who was some retired guy. He had a map that he gives the rv'rs to go hiking. He wasn't a hunter but he wasn't an anti either. He said he had heard gun shots from up there before but never thought much of it.
Anyway, read the regs book and talk to that resort guy, see if they still have a map.
I only hunted it a couple of times. It was miserable conditions but got a couple birds each time. There is a small creek that floods and runs down into Putah. I saw some ducks in there (and a lot of hikers too.) I thought if I could get in there during duck season on a weekday when foot traffic was light, it might be worth the trip. Both times I tried, I never saw any ducks. Give it a try. I would like to hear how you do. Also let me know if you see any pigs or sign.

(Edited by db 183 at 3:08 pm on Sep. 12, 2001)

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Okay now I know where you are talking about, I just didn't know it was called that.  I went to check it out once for turkeys and ran into too many other people doing the same thing so I wrote it off.

Brian

Top Bottom