anyone know how?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I know ZERO but noticed a Wireless ATV Color Video Camera for sale for $279 at MCM Electronics.com, part # 82-8340 (amateur TV license req'd)

Says it transmits ~100' on Cable TV channel 59.

Runs on 9-12VDC but no current specs.

It is about the size of a 9v battery and has a 9v battery clip shown in the pix

You could rassle a deer down and strap this to his horns and everytime he ran by your window, you'd see what he sees on your TV.   :eat-burger:

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi knobby,
I bought a couple of the X-cams when they had a "two-fer-one" sale.  My sister uses them in her retail store to catch thieves (the cams are hidden in items throughout the store) - you'd be amazed at the kinds of people that steal and the trivial crap that they take!
Anyway - the pic quality is about what you'd expect from a cam they can sell for less than 40 bucks.  Color is weak and the image reminds me of bad old movies where they used cheeze-cloth over the lens to try to make  actors look better.  The cams work great for just monitoring the general activity in an area - but if you want good color and detail forget it.  They do need a fair amount of light to work well - as will most any CMOS based camera.  You'd want a CCD cam for low-light conditions.
>>>>
How 'bout a used cam-corder, a long cable, and a video capture card??
>>>>
tranquilize a deer? Try a fifth of Jack Daniels? Seems to work well on people ; }

Archilochus

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Knobby,
Several years ago while I still lived in CA. there was an annual farm show at the Tulare Fairgrounds. During the show they had several wireless webcams set up on poles that would transmit still images via a wireless modem to upload the pics to a website every minute. I remember reading about it and it sounded interesting but I dont remember what the price tag was.
I
ll see if i cant find some more info if your interested.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Knobby,
X10 makes a CCD black and white camera with a 60 foot cord for around $50. I have one in color, that I use in my fish cam, but the low lux one would have been better. The color one just doesn't work well in low light conditions. Then you would just need a video input card and software to run it as a webcam. And of course a decent internet connection too. It might take a little work to get set up, but it would probably give you the best 24 hr video.

The NightWatch Surveillance Cam

Good Luck,

CB

K

knobby

bandit... that link leads to a CMOS camera not a CCD. That camera looks promising but I wish it was cordless like the other Xcams

and I still find it hard to believe that a company selling cameras and software to stream video to the web does not have demos of their products on their website so a person can SEE the quality and how it works before they buy. No demos tells me the quality must really suck. They have a section on their site called X10 zone... but if you can find me a good example demo of their cameras yer a bettah surfer than I.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
UH OH Sounds like a new project.

I am thinking Video Camera or Camcorder.  Nightshot feature, Infrared source.  You would need 2.4 GHz trasmitter for the video feed to the house.  Range is better and the ability to transimit voice and video at this level is great.  My phone is 2.4 Ghz and it works way out past the yard.  I think a friend of mine has such a device and I will check on it.  Realistically, though to get the quality you want a cam corder  or a high resolution video camera.  Seems simply.  The PIR would trigger the event.  Turn the camera on turn the trasmitter on(make sure it did not use to much power the transmitter and camcorder would be off until triggered) signal gets to the house and activates software on the computer.  Piece of cake.  NOT.  Money seems to be the biggest issue.  How to get the transmitter and receiver and the video camera.  Look up 2.4Ghz on the web and see what you come up with and I will ask my buddy about his device.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi knobby,
2.4GHz transmitters are available that take either the NTSC or A/V output from a camcorder and send it to the receiver at your TV (or computer).  Usually the receivers put out both an NTSC and A/V signal.  You'd have to have a video capture card.  I'm guessing once the image is going on the computer you could diddle with it to make it move faster for uploading.
RS sells some 2.4 GHz video Tx/Rx pairs - but you can get them much cheaper off the 'net.
>>>>
FISH CAM???  gotta hear more about THAT!
>>>>
Good Luck,
Archilochus

(Edited by Archilochus at 9:35 am on Feb. 9, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi knobby,
Oh...I thought you were lookin' fer 60 to 70 feet -  7/10ths of a mile is goin' to cost some bucks!  The jobs that claim "Long-range" but sell for $70 probably won't reach as far as they claim.  The maximum ranges are measured under *perfect* conditions and then usually jacked up by 15 or 20%  It's usually safe to assume a realistic max of about 1/2 of claimed max - but beware of the cheapies!

You might try a 'repeater' setup - set an Rx at the max Tx range and hook its output to another Tx.
Or, if you run line power to all this stuff, you could have a cable come back close to the house and just use a Tx/Rx to get inside the house without wires.

Archilochus

woodsman

Reaction score
fish cam ha     I have seen cordless servalince cams for driveways for under 50 bucks I think it was in JC wittney cat, I will check  on mounday the mag is at work. It works on batterys ,the cam looked to be the size of a roal of quarters                 :toast-yellow:

(Edited by woodsman at 6:21 pm on Feb. 9, 2002)

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom