Anyone Recognize The Spot?

Barkoff

Reaction score
Back and 1984 I took a hunting trip with my grandfather in the Sierras.

I think it might have been an X-zone, but now I'm not sure.

I can remember just a few things. We left from Pollock Pines, I think we ended up east on highway 88 but not positive. There is a peak behind the tree and I want to say Gramps called it "The Elephant Hump". Best of my recollection heading east we made a right tun on to a dirt road off the highway and climbed quite a ways, and the dirt road is right behind the person taking the picture.

Anyone recognize the spot, I'm thinking I would like to hunt it again someday, and maybe even spread old Gramps ashes in the canyon.

Thanks for the effort.

Mike

Reaction score
I'm stumped

I've spent a lot of time up that way in the 4wd but I cant place it.

Looks good tough.............even with a fridge on the table :bag-on-head:

MtKrego

Reaction score
Elephant's Back is just south of 88 at Carson Pass. Your photo could be off of the Blue Lakes Road maybe?

Barkoff

Reaction score
Elephant's Back is just south of 88 at Carson Pass. Your photo could be off of the Blue Lakes Road maybe?
That might be a winner. I don't remember Blue Lakes Rd. just the right turn onto the 4x4 road, I guess it could have been off Blue lakes, not 88. I could have sworn he told me before he passed on that it was outside of Markleyville, so it kind of fits. Does anyone know if that area was D5 or an X-zone back in 1984?

Marked to probable route with yellow diamonds. The topo matches what I remember more so than the picture does.

I'M DK

Reaction score
I have a map that shows a road off the east end of Red Lake, it heads south to your end point.
Look for Forestdale Rd., it meets Bluelakes Rd. at Forestdale creek.

DK

Barkoff

Reaction score
I have a map that shows a road off the east end of Red Lake, it heads south to your end point.
Look for Forestdale Rd., it meets Bluelakes Rd. at Forestdale creek.

DK

I think the other way fits my memory better. I remember we just turned off the 4x4 a few yards and made camp and we were looking across the valley at the peak, and low land with thick forest to the right. I don't remember a creek where the Forestdale creek is marked, I thinking maybe it was dried up when I was there.

I'm not showing Forestdale Rd on my topo, without seeing it it is herd to tell

Barkoff

Reaction score
OK, I see it, that is marked Blue Lakes rd on my topo also. That fits even better, right off of 88 like I thought and fits the length of drive more as I remember it

map

Reaction score
Google Earth will give you the exact spot that you are standing in the picture. Tilt the camera up at Red Lake and move it around with your mouse until the Google image matches your picture. I can't do it now, becasue it's Friday night. I have to take the wife out to dinner.

b

MtKrego

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice opportunity for a stroll down memory lane. You could probably make it either an X-8 or a D-5 hunt depending on where you went from there.

MQ

Reaction score
Barkoff,

I have a buddy who lives just a few hundred yards off the top of that last map and have hunted/driven Blue Lakes road many times. Very beautiful area and I suggest you go check it out again. Where you have your camp marked is in X8, but the boundary is not far off. If you keep going on that road towards Blue Lakes you will cross the boundary (Pacific Crest Trail) at the top of the grade (Forestdale Divide). I might even be up that way for opener, seeing as I have a D5 tag............

Latest Posts

Top Bottom