Anyone remove their bi-pod

GM4X

Reaction score
I bought a bi-pod along with my new Savage .223 (9" to 17" or so?). Anyway, I've only fired 4-5 rounds through the gun, but definately couldn't get "comfortable" with the bi-pod.

I picked-up a couple 3' pcs. of 1/2" dowel today & threw together a quick set of sticks. Setting with my back against the 'fridge, I noticed a big difference in how it felt with the gun shouldered.

Part of this I think is because my hand is much more comfortable with my palm in a horizontal position (wrapped around the "x") as opposed to palm-up with the pod (gripping the stock). Also the sticks are pulled farther back, lessening the pain in my left (I'm right-handed) arm/shoulder (previously injury).

Being over 6' I had to run the pod at full height (I shoot setting), which was wobbly, but didn't notice this at all with sticks. Anyone else find the same thing

bzzboyz

Reaction score
I took the bipod off my 25-06 about 2 years ago and starting using fold up shooting sticks instead. The bipod was just to bulky and was to loud when I had to drop or extend the legs. Plus the sticks are quicker to get set up with than the bipod was.

Val

Reaction score
I use the Stoney Point long bipods which allows to me to use them while standing or sitting. When walking in rough or steep terrain they are useful as a walking stick. I managed to bag a deer and a pig with them last season. They also make a unipod but I find them not as stable as the bipod.

VHRAM

Reaction score
I also took mine off for the same reasons.and ended up with 2 sets a tall set for standing and the shorter set for sitting. I first tried to make a set using those tent shock cords, it did not come out like I thought it would and were not as sturdy as the stoney points.Im one of those I can make that guys that usually spends 3x as much making something than it costs to buy something. Ive got a small custom utillity trailer that I would pull on camping trips with the jeep that cost about 5000.00 to make , I could proably sell it for 500.00.Its really cool though.

GM4X

Reaction score
bzzboyz- Agreed, though I have little actual time using either. It was just my first time using the bi-pod was very uncomfortable, and the first time on the sticks was quite the opposite.

Val- I've seen those. I think I'll be limited to setting for shooting (atleast for awhile). Congrats on the deer & the pig.

VHRAM- lol.....we sound alot alike
. But alot of enjoyment can be had making your own gadgets.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Hey GM4X, how are you doing? Making it around on the boards anyhow which is great.

Anyway, while I will not hunt deer without a bipod, I do not use them for predator hunting. Too much movement, racket and adjusting.

The shooting sticks seem much better to me, but have not used them enough yet to know for sure. I've done all my past shooting on predators without any tools, just my elbows on my knees. Probably explains why I missed more than I should have too. lol

All The Best

Frank

GM4X

Reaction score
Hey Frank ....not bad, hope all's well with you too. Yeah, the internet & these forums are all that are helping me keep what little sanity I have left.

I tried using the knees, & different things too. I'm sure a persons body length & shape & all that make a difference, not to mention just plain old personal prefference.

Just seemed like when I sat down with those sticks the very first time, it felt right. (Geesh, sounds like I'm talkin about a woman
)

Well, missin' one now & then just throws in a good dose of humble-pie. Besides, if we got 'em everytime, where would the fun be in that?

Have a good one Frank!

bzzboyz

Reaction score
OK. Let's see if this will help you out as far as shooting with short shooting sticks while standing. I learned this little trick by accident. I won't go into the details, but I will just say it was a rather painful experience.

First off these are the shooting sticks I use. Notice the loop at the top. you will need sticks with some kind of elastic loop at the top for this to work.

Attachments

bzzboyz

Reaction score
Now, find and old knife sheath. If your right handed put it on your right side and left if left handed. Put the barrel of the gun through the loop in the shooting stick all the way down to the front of the stock. Stick the other end of the shooting sticks in the knife sheath. It makes for a real steady rest. You can move the loop up and down the stock of the gun to raise or lower the barrel. To help in a quicker set up, I usually leave the shooting stick on the gun when stalking. You can also leve the end of the sticks in the sheath while stalking. It a pretty comfortable setup. Try it at the range a couple of times and you will be pretty comfortable with it when you hit the field. Hope this helps.

Now you can see why I got rid of my bipid. I could never do anything like this with them.

Attachments

GM4X

Reaction score
bzzboyz-pretty neat idea.

You stated- " I learned this little trick by accident. I won't go into the details, but I will just say it was a rather painful experience." ........so OK......I gotta ask.......tell us the story?

(this will serve as a diversion from swiftones watermelon-red toenails
)

VHRAM

Reaction score
bzzboyz thats a good idea with the sheath and sticks.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom