Anyone shed hunt in So Cal?

gearhead53

Just wondering how many people on here are hunting for sheds in So Cal? Growing up in PA, it was pretty common to find others that hunted and collected sheds. Out here, I've only met one other, eveyone else looks at me like I have two heads when I talk about it. Despite the buzz worms and ticks (I'm always covered with them after a hike) I found nine in the 2009 season and found my first for 2010 last week.

gearhead53

In San Diego county, I'd say the second week of Feb is when they start. The one I found last week was fresh, I think I bumped him and it dropped. I'm still seeing quite a bit still carrying. Last season I actually saw one drop after I bumped the buck, pretty cool.

hi gearhead 53, congrates on nine in 09 thats awsome .i shed hunt in san diego county or i at least call it that.i have found a few ,but most of them i have found have been when im scouting or hunting deer.the problem with sd is, the deer do not have a so called winter range like other states have.thats why i think they are harder to come by ,because they can drop any where, so the areas are not as well defined.i was out a couple weeks ago and saw a few still holding.i was thinking i would try to get out soon and start pounding the hills hopefully they haved dropped by now and have to get them before the critters do.any body with any helpfull info or areas in sd to shed hunt would be greatly appreciated. please send me a pm. yes, i know that no one will give up there spots, but there are those who could care less about them. quail hunters sometime find them and dont even touch them.me on the other hand, " i have it bad " i would walk miles for a lil,white, forkey that has been in sun for years, that is chewed up or broken and would be stoked to find it ,especialy in san diego. i know sounds weird or crazy but its an addiction.its like a bad ass version of easter egg hunting.i have found one allready this year also, but it was last years model hope to find a few fresh ones.good luck to all you fellow shed hunters in sunny san diego,its about that time.

gearhead53

I here ya brother, it's certainly an addiction. I went out Saturday in the rain, found a freshy with-in ten minutes. Thinking I'd come back with arm loads, I was pretty pumped. Six hours later, soaking wet from the rain (no ticks though), I found my second and last for the day (up to 3 for 2010). Although they don't have a winter range around here, they're still deer, so I tend to use the white tail way of thinking, edges, staging areas and bedding. I have yet to find one in the middle of a field, although I always spend time glassing the openings. For places to look in SD, pull up yahoo map, switch to hybrid and look for the green. That's what I do. If you see a guy walking with binos, a shooting stick and rubber boots, you've found me....

gearhead53

Found my 4th for the season on Tuesday! It was last years drop, a little 3 pt, but still gave me the rush. I gotta post some pic's, work on that this weekend.

hey gearhead,was out of town for a week, sorry didnt get back to you .good job on your resent finds .i made it out today for a hours with my brother in law, we found two .hes was a very big fresh three point and mine was a last years old and broken forky.hade alot of fun hope to get out again soon. i will also try to post a few pics soon.

gearhead53

As promised. These are the four I've found this year from right to left starting the 2nd week of Feb. The pic is the first drop I found, a buck named "Lucky". He's an old guy, 2x4 and I'm hoping to find the other side. I've got him on my trail cam quite a bit, all the way back to August. He's got a torn ear and ever since opening day this season, he's sporting a muzzy kiss through his neck. The third pic is comparing the bases of the Lucky and the second drop I found, which was another nice buck for So Cal. I've been out a couple times since, but the grass is getting high and the ticks/ snakes are out in full force since the heat started kicking in. I've got Monday off, so in addition to finding my bird for the opener, I plan on cover about 20 miles.... Wish me luck.

Attachments

Last edited:
nice sheds gearhead,hope to get out soon, but have to work the fred hall show this week so i will have to wait.yes the tics and snakes are out. saw a big rattler and had tics this last sunday.no sheds though, looked in an area havent tried before.good luck on your next hunt. "tines up".

weekender21

Nice! I usually find one or two during turkey season. The deer have a large home range out here, that makes it hard to find them.....at least for me!

mike_cook82

ive found 2 sets during this past deer season. both in san diego county. i usually tend to start deer season in the souther part of the county on blm land and then move to a few different places after that. hit me up with a private message and maybe we can trade info on spots and what-not

Jennn

Angeles crest

Hello,
I live in AZ and I am in La Crescenta CA right next to Angeles crest national forest does anyone know where to look up here in Angeles crest national forest?

Top Bottom